XK-1 and XScope

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
gron
New User

XK-1 and XScope

Post by gron »

Trying to run xscope on an XK-1 board with the new dev tools.
I added the following lines to the XN files:

<Link Encoding="2wire" Delays="4,4" Flags="SOD">
<LinkEndpoint NodeId="0" Link="X0LC"/>
<LinkEndpoint RoutingId="0x8000" Chanend="1"/>
</Link>

and tried different variations of Link="X0LC" item (tried A-B).
In all cases I get the:
xrun: Program received signal ET_ILLEGAL_RESOURCE, Resource not valid.
[Switching to stdcore[0] hwthread 2]

Error.

Any clues? I'm at my wits end....

Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

Hi Gron,

The XK-1 does not support XScope functionality, due to the XSYS X-Link being wired in reverse. Please use the UART XScope functionality for this board.

Kind Regards,
Corin
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Which boards do support XScope functionality?
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

Currently,

- Low cost AVB board
- Multichannel USB 2.0 Audio board
- Motor control platform

All others are supported with the fall back to UART.

I would anticipate that it will be present on all new designs unless there is a good reason not to include it.
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

XMatt wrote: - Low cost AVB board
$349.00
XMatt wrote: - Multichannel USB 2.0 Audio board
$349.00
XMatt wrote: - Motor control platform
Contact us for purchase and early access information

It'd be great if there were some way (without UART fall back) to try out the new XScope feature on more "cheap and cheerful" development boards (all of the ones listed are under reference designs). I'll admit I'm new to the world of XMOS, so this may be a silly question, but is there no way to use any of the pins on the existing development boards that are opened up to IDC headers?
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Can I just clarify the XK1 support.

I have an older XK1 and also what I assume was a newer version given it was shipped after you issued the new design files. Is the newer version corrected with the power monitor changes and the XSYS X-Link fixed?

regards
Al
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

DanB wrote:It'd be great if there were some way (without UART fall back) to try out the new XScope feature on more "cheap and cheerful" development boards (all of the ones listed are under reference designs). I'll admit I'm new to the world of XMOS, so this may be a silly question, but is there no way to use any of the pins on the existing development boards that are opened up to IDC headers?
As I said I expect all new development boards to support the xlink xscope feature if it makes sense. Currently the reference designs are the only boards supporting it that you can buy. There is no reason why you cannot modify an existing board if you like, this has certainly been done with the L1 Audio and IPOD dock platforms which dont support the link to IDC connection out of the box.

As far as the XK-1 is concerned if you swap the links around the functionality does work. All current XK-1's that have been shipped have the links swapped over.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Thanks XMatt

Can I also clarify that even the XK1 "New Design" schematic is incorrect, its important because I was following it as part of another design?

regards
Al
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Sorry I have another question, if the link connections are swapped how come you can still daisy chain XK1s, surely the links would not work in that case?
:?

regards
Al
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

In fact from memory I think the XK1 new design was the only reference L1 design that included pinouts for XSYS X-Link receptor, so I would imagine many others also used this design to refer to when designing L1 boards.

Anyone else checked their XSYS X-Link receptor designs on their own boards?

Update I checked my L1 designs, definitely incorrect..

regards
Al
Last edited by Folknology on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.