configuring Ports

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
daleonpz
Member++

configuring Ports

Post by daleonpz »

If it's possible to configure the ports for any kind of comunication protocol, i mean i can use either port A or port B, for example, to make my own I2C bus or generate "n" PWM channels?... I think that it's possible to do that, but Im not pretty sure.

bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

daleonpz wrote:If it's possible to configure the ports for any kind of comunication protocol, i mean i can use either port A or port B, for example, to make my own I2C bus or generate "n" PWM channels?... I think that it's possible to do that, but Im not pretty sure.
In general, yes you can define most protocols on any appropriate port. There are a few exceptions (e.g. USB or hardware-only SPI flash), but even then you're not locked in the way you are on a lot of MCUs. From a hardware pin point of view, not all pins can be accessed as a 1-bit port though, for example. Each chip or development board has a hardware manual that tells you how the different ports map to the pins.

Cheers,
Brendan
daleonpz
Member++

Post by daleonpz »

bsmithyman wrote:
daleonpz wrote:If it's possible to configure the ports for any kind of comunication protocol, i mean i can use either port A or port B, for example, to make my own I2C bus or generate "n" PWM channels?... I think that it's possible to do that, but Im not pretty sure.
In general, yes you can define most protocols on any appropriate port. There are a few exceptions (e.g. USB or hardware-only SPI flash), but even then you're not locked in the way you are on a lot of MCUs. From a hardware pin point of view, not all pins can be accessed as a 1-bit port though, for example. Each chip or development board has a hardware manual that tells you how the different ports map to the pins.

Cheers,
Brendan
thank you Brendan, it helped me a lot in what Im doing now (comunication between ADC and XS1 using I2C). In that I bet I can use two 1bit-ports, probably they will be XS1_port_1A and XS1_port_1B. :twisted: