Which development board is best for Multi-channel I2S to USB Topic is solved

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
djowel

Which development board is best for Multi-channel I2S to USB

Post by djowel »

Hi,

I want to have 8 or more channels of I2S streamed into USB 2.0. What is the best (easiest entry and cheapest) development board (from XMOS or third party) to use for this purpose?  This is our first time to use XMOS but we've been doing MCU development before. I am aware of the various dev boards and reference designs from XMOS, but all of them have DACs and ADCs which we do not need. I am also aware of the third party USBStreamer from minidsp.com 10 x IN, 10 x OUT multichannel USB audio interface. That would have been good for my purposes, but it does not say if it is an Open Source project with the schematics, BOM, etc., supplied nor is it clear if we can reprogram the board for our own needs (e.g. DSP). In the end, we will want to develop our own boards that will be integrated with our end product. The project will be Open Source so a closed source design cannot be our starting point basis.

I would appreciate any tips. Thank you in advance!

Joel de Guzman
Cycfi Research

PS. Is the startkit suitable for our prupose if we add the necessary hardware? Or is it underpowered for the task?

Edit: I am aware of that the USB 2.0 Multi Channel Reference design board will support what I need, but as I said, I do not need most of the features such as the ADCs and DACs, etc. I need something more barebones like the aforementioned USBStreamer from minidsp.com which sells for $105 compared to USB 2.0 Multi Channel Reference which sells for $349. I was hoping for something more inexpensive for the purpose of evaluating the XMOS processors.

View Solution
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

If you want to do development, the usb-streamer is not going to be what you want.  It allow no programming or configuration.  If you want an end product, then look there.  It appears that only 2 channels are available for output, unless you infact are looking for I2S.  Good luck.

mhelin

Post by mhelin »

StartKIT can be used with USB Audio 2.0 XS1-L2 Software Release,  also the XTAG2 debugger can be used (not free but only $19 without VAT in Digikey).

See document and project:

https://www.xmos.com/en/download/public ... -XTAG2.pdf

https://github.com/xcore/proj_xtag2 -> run_dyanmic_xe (typo in name!)

Of course you have to get the software, define proper XN for the app, change the port mappings etc.

For the run_dynamic_xe you have to implement loading code from binary, and change the USB PID to match with startKIT.

Also you have to load the firmware every time from computer, it cannot be stored to startKIT, it boots the usb tile just from USB.

Also there aren't too many 1-bit ports available, for multichannel audio you have to use TDM format, and that's not included in USB reference software (the AVB example contains TDM module which you might be able to use).

So if it really is about the money (or lack of it) the startKIT can be used, but it's much more work, and if you price the hours you will use then it's maybe better to get the sliceKIT +audio slice.