universal programmer. recommendations?

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
otitov
XCore Addict

universal programmer. recommendations?

Post by otitov »

Hi!

I would like to spend some money and get a nice universal flash, eprom, eeprom, pic, atmel, etc..., programmer.

I was told to search eBay for Willem Programmer, but first I would quite appreciate your opinions and suggestions!

So! What do you use to programm many-many-many chips!

Oleg
P.S. what do you use to erase eprom's?

leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

In most cases, it's best to use the manufacturer's tools. For instance, Microchip has the PICKit 2 and 3, as well as the more expensive ICD 3, and Atmel has the AVR Dragon. They are much more useful than a programmer as they offer in-circuit debugging, which is invaluable. They aren't expensive.

Do people still use EPROMs? I built my own UV eraser and programmer, but it must be over 15 years since I used one.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

Yes! People still use EPROMs!

In my case I need a programmer for 27C512 EPROM, I want to upgrade a firmware for Kantronics KPC3+ digipeater (yes, I am radio-amateur with interest in APRS).

I found a nice flash replacement for this chip - SST27SF512, but it is out of stock. I was offered to buy classic 27C512 EPROM, which lead me to consider to buy Willem Programmer and any UV eraser.
ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

If you only need one device then you can use an adapter board with a flash device and program the flash via some uController. A 29F010 for instance is a 5V device, it has 32 pins but it can be easily programmed using an ATMega8535 or ATMega162 (they are DIP too and 5V parts with external memory interface). I'll do that (and I recently sold my EPROM programmer because it had an ISA card...).