Wanted: XMOS Printed Books

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
DanB
Experienced Member

Wanted: XMOS Printed Books

Post by DanB »

Afternoon,

This might be a bit of a long shot, but worth a try! I'm still pretty new to exploring the wonderful world of XMOS and in the process I'm going through all of the useful documents listed on the XMOS website. Whilst very useful, I find it a lot easier to experiment with the XMOS without having to switch between the XDE and a PDF reader... Now of course, I could invest in a larger, or second, monitor but I do not have any interest in that! :P

I've noticed that two of the PDFs are sold as printed books by XMOS - "Programming XC on XMOS Devices" and "The XMOS XS1 Architecture". So, my intention to get a hold of these.

Before purchasing from the XMOS site (priced in USD, etc) I was wondering if anybody here has a copy of either/both of these books? Of course, I would be willing to buy them from you!

If nobody has any then no worries, there is still the availability from the XMOS site but I thought it would be worth checking here first... Whilst unlikely, if somebody has a copy of these they do not want/no longer have a use for then it could be off-loaded to me and both benefit.

Of course, unlikely, but worth a shot! :)

Cheers,

Dan.

octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

You can still print the pdf and read it on paper :shock:
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

octal wrote:You can still print the pdf and read it on paper :shock:
That's true but at 25 USD each on the XMOS site (approximately 15 GBP according to Google) I am not sure it would be that much more cost effective to print them out (considering the costs of ink and paper). Even if the price was almost the same the printed books, I assume, will be of better quality.

The kind of people I guess I'm targetting with this post are those who purchased one when they were, like myself, a beginner to the XMOS platform. By this stage maybe they are just sitting on their desk collecting dust. If so, by getting rid of them to me we can both benefit (they reclaim desk space, get something back for them and a warm fuzzy feeling they are helping somebody :P) and for me maybe things work out marginally better value even still.

As I say, it's unlikely (most people would probably still want to keep them as a "what if", if they are anything like me)... But if I did not ask then I'd for sure not know! :)
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

Sure, true original books are always better. The time being, when I wanted to acquire them, I remember they were always out of stock (on amazon.co.uk I waited 3 or 4 days and then finished up printing them (on laser printer, this does not cost too much and the books are not too thick).
Last edited by octal on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I keep all the Xmos PDFs (books, datasheets etc..) on my Kindle which is very handy and recommended. Also I believe you can get these books from Amazon and the uk publisher just do an ISBN (or xmos) search, they will probably be about £15-16 inc shipping. However the PDFs tend to be a more up to date reference.

regards
Al
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

octal wrote:Sure, true original books are always better. The time being, when I wanted to acquire them, I remember they were always out of stock (on amazon.co.uk I waited 3 or 4 days and then finished up printing them (on laser printer, this does not cost too much and the books are not too thick).
i have (win) "The XMOS XS1 Architecture" Book and after reading, i can see that :shock: (original books are always better)
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

Folknology wrote: I keep all the Xmos PDFs (books, datasheets etc..) on my Kindle
Definite +1 on the Kindle suggestion; the XMOS books come out particularly well on the Kindle reformatting (I think because they have very large margins, which the Kindle crops away). It's extremely handy to have the books and datasheets with me (although I often have one open on that, one on my laptop, and the XC physical book open all at once.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Maybe I should offer a Kindle in the next XMOS parcel ;-)
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

jason wrote:Maybe I should offer a Kindle in the next XMOS parcel ;-)
or an iPad :mrgreen:
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

jason wrote:Maybe I should offer a Kindle in the next XMOS parcel ;-)
Sounds good :P

But, for now, it seems nobody has any of the XMOS printed books going spare (as expected!). Therefore, I'm looking at placing an order. Amazon would be preferable as my card company charge for purchases in foreign currency. Amazon seems a good bet as "Programming XC on XMOS Devices" is sold on their directly by XMOS anyway. However I cannot find the "The XMOS XS1 Architecture" book on Amazon. Is there any reason for this? I only ask as on the XMOS website it says "English: Available November". Is that November 2010 (or prior) and now available? Or is this November 2011?

Cheers,

Dan.