What is the most creative thing you could make in 1 day?

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
jason
XCore Expert

What is the most creative thing you could make in 1 day?

Post by jason »

Given one just 1 day for some fun hacking, what is one mini project you may have wanted to work on or perfect/finish off that you would complete / make? Assume the only constraint is the 1 day and only you could work on it. Ignore price of components etc. Go for it!

Vaati

Post by Vaati »

Tough one... Assuming that we are also ignoring the time it takes for parts to arrive, and the word "components" is taken to mean "the parts required to complete the project, regardless of their type (i.e.; electronic components, construction components, etc)" then I would acquire all the necessary parts and equipment (which happens to be included in my very ambiguous term, "components") to make a new die for XMOS 4 core processor with increased memory, additional interfaces for external devices, and produce an official development platform with which all the pins are accessible, and includes optional slots for end-user devices (i.e.; HDD connector, VGA, USB, RS232, DIY GameBoy flash cartridges, etc) so as to make a more user-friendly product.

. . . . .

What? -- I can get a lot done in 24 hours....
:mrgreen:
ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

Vaati:

Routing the board in 24 hs is possible... but nobody will make it that fast... 2 days or so is the minimum time I have seen advertised :(. But a fully expanded G4-512 would be just great. A Stamp-sized (big stamp) with a G4 would give already quite a kick-start... (read: XMOS we want that product, pretty please :) )

I'd probably try one of my calculators designs... with touch interface...
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

@Vaati Wow certainly set the level high there for 1 days work! Indeed we can assume all "components" have arrived!

@ale500 Will pass on the feedback :-)
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Im with ale on it.

Id love to see a G4 'stamp' and i think i can draw a PCB for that in 24 hours and send it out.But there is no way i could solder a BGA512.

As for a fun and cool project if i had unlimited parts is to fit a lot of XDKs with cameras and put them on those tracks and then have them follow each other around the room with obstacle avoidance.
ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

Berni were would you send the board ?... drawing it is not a concern, soldering it is of course :) but a BGA 144 I'm sure I can do it...

The marathon would be... write an operating system for such a beast (G4 with external memory) in 24 hs... that's a challenge I want !
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

In one day I can't even manage to plan what I want to do the next day:)
ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

Heater: But 8 of you in parallel can sure accomplish quite a bit :)... I always make plans... the problem is that when I finally arrive at work I already forgot what I have planed... :mrgreen:
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Heater wrote:In one day I can't even manage to plan what I want to do the next day:)
LOL Heater!
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

I would spend that day to test an idea to add to the parcel.

Many here seems to be good programmers, but getting a PCB with a mounted XMOS chip is more tricky. Specially if you do not have a company. So

If a xcore user supplied gerbers into a pool, and the schematic became public, XMOS could send the gerbers to China and let them mount the chip. Larger things like the connector can be mounted by the inventor. A 5x5 cm PCB is 20$ in china, and 10x10 is 40$, so it's not more money compared to the existing parcel.

That would maybe be a large benefit to a person with CS background, to be able to have a prototype card!?
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.