Project Of The Month - November - TonyD - XArduino

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
mikethe1wheelnut

Post by mikethe1wheelnut »

is it the opinion of the developers of the xarduino that it could be the right choice for an open-source, arduino-compatible implementation of the above product?
.. I guess that means you, tony ;-)

TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

mikethe1wheelnut wrote:.. I am interested in open-source FPV systems, and my search has lead me here....

an example of the system I might be getting if no other options present themselves is: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=275

is it the opinion of the developers of the xarduino that it could be the right choice for an open-source, arduino-compatible implementation of the above product?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with FPV systems so I'm not in a position to comment.

Start a new topic/thread in "Project Proposals" and bounce the idea around and see what others have to say.
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

mikethe1wheelnut wrote:hi.. I am interested in open-source FPV systems...
-mike :-)
Hi Mike,

I think it's probably less a matter of whether it can, and more a matter of whether it's the right choice. The XMOS boards can handle data rates high enough to work with video, but with only 64 kB of onboard RAM per core you probably only have enough to buffer a frame or so (at most). The radio interface is likely more of an issue. Most of these systems are analogue, and they don't really process the data, they just dump the composite signal over a radio link. You need quite a high-rate connection to get similar performance. However, the XMOS people are working on AVB in a big way, so there might be potential to tie in to that effort.

I'd suggest you make a thread in the project proposal section to get some more eyes on the idea (and also so that TonyD's thread doesn't get swamped).

Edit: Guess that ended up being a bit redundant; simultaneous posting...
nevez

Post by nevez »

Hello everyone,

first post in this forum. I'm a long time programmer but an electronic noob. I'm trying to fill this knowledge gap by experimenting with Arduinos and the like. I've discovered your technology by reading news about the (maybe!) forthcoming Amiga computers, and I'm really interested in it.

To my limited knowledge, it looks like it can replace a custom made FPGA in many cases, doing away with the burden of Verilog programming.

Sorry if I resurrect an old thread, but I would like to know if this project is still actively developed, and if any XArduino boards where actually printed and tested.

Thank you