Group buy: SMSC USB3318 ULPI PHY

Non-technical related questions should go here.
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

Lots of companies don't release their datasheets unless under NDA. So far I've only found US companies do it but I could be wrong. I've always assumed it's so that they can choose not to supply parts to person or persons who may use that tech against them. Alternatively, they could just be trying to be as big a pain in the ass as possible and push you to using an alternative vendor.

@folk - that's ok. I'll get the parts anyway and you can shout when/if you want any.

@leon - ok. I've got my NDA through the guys at NuHorizons who are a UK disti for SMSC.

@lilltroll - you dontz getz no driverz, justz datasheetz.

leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I've just got my NDA from Ian. It seems to be a unique device which probably makes SMSC a lot of money, they obviously don't want anyone copying it.

Leon
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Thanks for the update Leon, I get the picture ;-)
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

sjalloq wrote:Lots of companies don't release their datasheets unless under NDA. So far I've only found US companies do it but I could be wrong. I've always assumed it's so that they can choose not to supply parts to person or persons who may use that tech against them. Alternatively, they could just be trying to be as big a pain in the ass as possible and push you to using an alternative vendor.
I can never understand the reasons for not having published full data sheets for a product sold through main distributors. What does the company hope to accomplish by doing it? And then asking for a NDA to be signed, well I've with Folknology on this, its just a daft policy to have. :x

Shareef, sorry but I'm going to put my order on hold as well until I get the NDA organised.
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

Tony, are you in any sort of hurry for these units? If not then I'll hang back a week just so that I can put a DigiKey order together with a few more parts I need for the build. I've been meaning to do it for the last week but have been busy. If you are keen to get them then I can order them soon and get the rest of what I need later or through my work account. No problem either way.

Shareef.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

Sparkfun have the USB3318 listed on their website and with what looks to be a data sheet as well :? . I hope Sparkfun build a break out board for it.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

It's a product preview, not the full data sheet. It probably does have enough info for a PCB design, though.

I've created a Pulsonix PCB part for it. Annoyingly, I couldn't copy/paste from the PDF into the part editor and had to type in the pin names.

Leon
Light
Member++

Post by Light »

Is the group buy still active?
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

Is it possible to use the USB3317 instead of the USB3318? From the "product preview" they appear to be the same part with a different input frequency. Can anyone with the datasheets look to see if they say anything about that if they are compatible from the configuration side? We don't have access to the XMOS ULPI source code to see what's up, or to make any changes.

The USB3317 is 1/2 the price from mouser over the USB3318 at digi-key (mouser doesn't stock, or is out of stock, the USB3318).
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

The Group Buy is not active because no one seemed interested at the time. I'm happy to put in the order if I get enough interest.

As for using the 3317 in place of the 3318, I wouldn't bother. XMOS don't release the source code for the PHY and instead ship a library with the functions you need. Apparently the interface timing is tight so letting customers loose on the source code would probably end up in lots of support time so they don't do it. The 3318 is a proven part - why move away.