Connect xe216 and adau1452 to an arduino.

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
dicas3d
New User

Connect xe216 and adau1452 to an arduino.

Post by dicas3d »

Hello.
I'm studying a way to build an project like freedsp Infinitas using already assembled boards like arduino mega 2560.
I used chatgpt to get the info in a more human way. Here is the result:
Sure, here's an updated prompt that uses an Arduino as a coordinator of communication between the other microcontrollers:

To build a development platform similar to FreeDSP Infinitas using an Arduino Mega 2560 as a coordinator of communication, an ADAU1452 microcontroller solely for DSP, and an XMOS XE216 microcontroller solely for USB Audio 2.0 device class, follow these steps:

Select a development board for the ADAU1452 microcontroller, such as the EVAL-ADAU1452Z from Analog Devices, which provides the ADAU1452 with 512kB of flash memory, 32kB of data memory, and a SigmaStudio graphical interface for designing DSP algorithms.

Select a development board for the XMOS XE216 microcontroller, such as the XCORE-200 Multichannel Audio Platform from XMOS, which provides the XE216 with two USB Audio 2.0 interfaces, an Ethernet interface, and a multicore architecture with up to 16 logical cores.

Select an Arduino Mega 2560 development board, which provides the Arduino Mega 2560 with 256kB of flash memory, 8kB of SRAM, and a range of digital and analog I/O pins for interfacing with other microcontrollers.

Connect the ADAU1452 development board and the XMOS XE216 development board together using an I2S interface, which provides a high-quality digital audio connection between the two microcontrollers.

Connect the Arduino Mega 2560 development board to the ADAU1452 development board and the XMOS XE216 development board using serial connections, which allow the Arduino Mega 2560 to communicate with the other microcontrollers and coordinate their actions.

Program each microcontroller using its respective development board and software tools, and coordinate their actions using firmware code running on the Arduino Mega 2560.

By following these steps, you can create a development platform similar to FreeDSP Infinitas that incorporates an Arduino Mega 2560 as a coordinator of communication between an ADAU1452 microcontroller for DSP and an XMOS XE216 microcontroller for USB Audio 2.0.

Here are some suggested development boards that you can use for each microcontroller:

ADAU1452: EVAL-ADAU1452Z from Analog Devices
XMOS XE216: XCORE-200 Multichannel Audio Platform from XMOS
Arduino Mega 2560: Arduino Mega 2560 R3 from Arduino

Note: In this solution, we are using a serial connection to communicate between the microcontrollers as per the prompt requirement.
Can anyone confirm that this can be done?

RitchRock
XCore Addict

Post by RitchRock »

Sure, I've used XE216 and ADAU1452 together. Is the mega 2560 necessary though? Could you just do whatever microcontroller functions you need on XMOS? Also XE216 only has one USB Interface.
fabriceo
XCore Addict

Post by fabriceo »

Hello
I have also used ADAU1452 in SPI mode (https://github.com/fabriceo/SIGMADSP) and Xcore-200 is a good front end and a powerful USB device.
by the way I recommend the ADAU1467 which is much more flexible.
the Mega2560 is probably not necessary unless you have tons of library required for your project.

on the other end, you might consider XU316-TQ128 which provide almost same power as ADAU1452 for IIR filters.
If you need FIR that's different, and you might consider convoluted fir with XU316.

also ADAU availability is a nightmare.