Sex and violence outside my bedroom window!

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

The eggs hatched three days ago, after 30 days or so, I took this photo yesterday:

One of them managed to get out of the nest the night after it hatched, and couldn't get back. It was getting rather distressed, judging by the noise it was making, and the parents couldn't do anything about it, so I crawled out of the window, picked it up and put it back in the nest with its sibling.

They are very active; scuttling about the balcony, and pecking everything in sight. I keep wanting to pick them up, but it's best that they don't get accustomed to humans.

otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

nice! more pictures please!
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

That is a really good photo what camera/lens did you use?
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

What is your cat's opinion regarding the newborn ?
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I use a Nikon D80 with the Nikkor 18-135 zoom that came in the kit, it's not a top-class lens but does quite a good job. The new D90 would be nice, but I don't take enough photos to justify it.

Here are some pics I took today:

I haven't let the cat out on the balcony since the parents started building the nest. They didn't take any notice of him anyway, although he liked stalking them. He looks longingly out of the window at the chicks, of course, and the female sometimes gets alarmed when she sees him. They both screech when I open the window to feed them.

I still keep wanting to pick them up.
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Such violence, oh the agony of it all. :cry:
Go on, let the cat out of the bag. :o
If you do, I'll give ya a nickel. :mrgreen:
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Under the protected species legislation I could be prosecuted for doing that. I think it's a max. £5,000 fine and six months jail. Your nickel won't go very far. :D

I just saw the famous behaviour with the chicks pecking the red spot on a parent's lower mandible. The adult promptly regurgitated something unrecognisable (it might have been shellfish) which the chicks ate with relish.