Where XMOS?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Are you suggested the AKM fire is not affecting XMOS MCU availability? I would guess not, but who knows? The global shortage is a complicated problem with many contributing factors, undoubtedly.

AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Post by AlexAdvice »

I have no idea how AKM fire can influence to XMOS.
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Right, I could hazard a couple of guesses. They might be dead wrong, but I think my first one probably has some truth to it.

How many large OEMs do you think use both AKM chips and XMOS chips? Presumably a lot of audio companies, at very least. If you're an OEM who was "burned" by the AKM fire, and you know you've got to redesign your board for a Cirrus chip, or TI chip, or Analog Devices chip -- do you also want to redesign it for something other than XMOS, since you know the XMOS chip you use is EOL and you may not know when the replacements will be available? Or do you gobble up all the spare XMOS chips while they're cheap?

And if you're a fab, and you've got lots of orders from AKM competitors for their parts due to the scarcity of AKM chips, might you delay XMOS chips if they're a smaller order?
__BriKs__

Post by __BriKs__ »

Still no news about chips availability ?
baffless
New User

Post by baffless »

Yes where are XMOS chips? at digikey there are 4 positions available out of 341 from XMOS. I started a new board with XMOS chip and i am not sure should i proceed. Anyone knows the situation better?
BEBDigitalAudio
Experienced Member

Post by BEBDigitalAudio »

Hey there to all xCore members...

We bought a lot of XL216-512 chips these last years (using XS1 series before), and we are now simply facing a wall.
For a purchase order sent in January (450 pieces), we got only 125 pieces delivered just after. Future Electronics started to announce delivery in June 2021, then August 2021, then December 2021... and today, they announce AUGUST 2022 !!!!!
(apparently, other companies seem to get shorter leadtimes, making us think that they prefer deliver first to bigger customers - our consumption being "only" 500 to 1000 pieces per year).

So we have now the choice between stopping completely our production and close our company or switch to another chip... This will cost us a complete re-design of our current product, but at least we have found a processor which can still be delivered.
For my company, decision has been taken : goodbye XMOS...
genap
Experienced Member

Post by genap »

So what are you going to use instead of XMOS?
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Whatever it is, you might want to make a large order, because the supply problems are industry wide. Good luck!