No audio from SPDIF-TX in xCORE-200 MC board

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
skateskate

No audio from SPDIF-TX in xCORE-200 MC board

Post by skateskate »

Hello,
I have an xCORE-200 MC AUDIO board and I have problems when I try to send an audio signal to the SPDIF-TX connector: in fact, if I connect an optical cable from the SPDIF-TX connector to the SPDIF input of my amplifier I can't hear any sound.
The source code I am using is the original one taken from the "app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc" folder, specifically the "2i10o10xsxxxx" configuration. The only change I made is setting SPDIF_TX_INDEX to 0, in order to duplicate the DAC channels and have the same audio output as the LINE-OUT 1-2 channels (they work correctly).

Could you please help me to understand what I am doing wrong?

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. Can you review the following thread and let us know if it helps?

viewtopic.php?t=6048
skateskate

Post by skateskate »

Thanks for your reply. I have reviewed the thread but unfortunately nothing worked. The most important points I found from the thread and its linked references were:
  • Be sure to change the default SPDIF_TX_INDEX, which I set to (0) as said before;
  • If I have understood correctly, there might be a problem with Windows 10 drivers (I installed the Thesycon ones, downloaded from the xmos site), but I have connected the board to an Ubuntu PC and the same problem persists, i.e. no audio from spdif
  • To be sure, I double checked if the spdif input of my amplifier works connecting it to another source, and there are no problems
skateskate

Post by skateskate »

Update:
I have compiled and flashed the "app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc_2i10o10xssxxx" firmware, so the one that enables both SPDIF input and output.
Then I tried to connect the optical cable in a loopback configuration, i.e. connecting the SPIDIF-TX to SPDIF-RX of the xCORE-200 MC board. From the Thesycon control panel -> clock source tab, I see that the "XMOS S/PDIF clock" is set as "not valid", so it seems that the board doesn't send any clock signal.
If, instead, I try to connect the digital COAX-TX to the COAX-RX, the "XMOS S/PDIF clock" become "valid".
Do you know why?
skateskate

Post by skateskate »

Update n. 2:
I found the problem. Inside "app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc\src\core\" there is a file named "xk-audio-216-mc.xn" in which are defined the port mappings. It seems that the OPT-TX port is, by default, assigned to ADAT. I had to change the following lines

Code: Select all

<Port Location="XS1_PORT_1E"  Name="PORT_ADAT_OUT"/>-->  <!-- D: COAX E: OPT -->
<Port Location="XS1_PORT_1D"  Name="PORT_SPDIF_OUT"/>--> <!-- D: COAX E: OPT --> 
to:

<Port Location="XS1_PORT_1D"  Name="PORT_ADAT_OUT"/>-->  <!-- D: COAX E: OPT --> 
<Port Location="XS1_PORT_1E"  Name="PORT_SPDIF_OUT"/>--> <!-- D: COAX E: OPT --> 
James Chan

Post by James Chan »

skateskate wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:09 pm Update n. 2:
I found the problem. Inside "app_usb_aud_xk_216_mc\src\core\" there is a file named "xk-audio-216-mc.xn" in which are defined the port mappings. It seems that the OPT-TX port is, by default, assigned to ADAT. I had to change the following lines

<Port Location="XS1_PORT_1E"  Name="PORT_ADAT_OUT"/>-->  <!-- D: COAX E: OPT -->
<Port Location="XS1_PORT_1D"  Name="PORT_SPDIF_OUT"/>--> <!-- D: COAX E: OPT --> 
to:

<Port Location="XS1_PORT_1D"  Name="PORT_ADAT_OUT"/>-->  <!-- D: COAX E: OPT --> 
<Port Location="XS1_PORT_1E"  Name="PORT_SPDIF_OUT"/>--> <!-- D: COAX E: OPT --> 
I had same issue with my board.