USB Audio 2.0 support coming to Windows 10 from Microsoft

Discussions about USB Audio on XMOS devices
MaximLiadov
XCore Addict

Post by MaximLiadov »

As I posted before, just 2ch outputs firmware works fine on my XUF216 hardware.

Thank you for the confirmation, that adding 2 inputs prevents starting this driver.. Maybe it would be possible with some firmware modification? I suppose XMOS guys' expertise is needed here.

AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Post by AlexAdvice »

MaximLiadov wrote:
Thank you for the confirmation, that adding 2 inputs prevents starting this driver...
Pay attention - 2 inputs prevents starting the driver if there is no outputs only!
If both inputs and outputs exists, driver starts, no yellow mark and "Code 10" error.
But only outputs working.
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Hopefully the secret to ins will be determined at some point in time, according to Microsoft the following are supported:

The driver supports the following endpoint synchronization types (USB-2 5.12.4.1):

Asynchronous IN and OUT
Synchronous IN and OUT
Adaptive IN and OUT

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... io-drivers
RitchRock
XCore Addict

Post by RitchRock »

I find it quite "convenient" that Thesycon developed the Windows UA2 driver without useful support for XMOS multichannel audio, even-though they have long supplied an XMOS driver that can be licensed for $$$$.
AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Post by AlexAdvice »

Not only Thesycon making UAC2 driver for Windows, there are also Ploytec and CEntrance.
There are drivers for Amanero and CMedia (I don't know if their own or 3rd party).

Why UAC2 is not a problem under Android, Linux and MacOS?
I'm surprised, that nobody from "open software world" still does not make the freeware UAC2 driver for win - it will be UAC3 soon, and we still have the problems with UAC2.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. Just jumping into this discussion. Not an audio developer but have many designs working on assorted Windows including Windows 10 (32/64 bit). If there is an interest, can share details of a very strong device driver group in Asia that we use for our code development of the drivers.

If your driver is not working for you the review and post the event log from Windows.
Attachments
windows_event_log.png
(73.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
windows_event_log.png
(73.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MaximLiadov
XCore Addict

Post by MaximLiadov »

mon2 wrote:Hi. Just jumping into this discussion. Not an audio developer but have many designs working on assorted Windows including Windows 10 (32/64 bit). If there is an interest, can share details of a very strong device driver group in Asia that we use for our code development of the drivers.

If your driver is not working for you the review and post the event log from Windows.
I think much more effective way is in getting an idea how to make a standard XMOS firmware 2in/2out to be compatible with the standard W10 driver. Instead of spending a lot of time and money to develop exactly the same propietary drivers. Right?

You need WDK to be installed to read a log. I think we just need someone much more expertised, like XMOS guys.
MaximLiadov
XCore Addict

Post by MaximLiadov »

RME guys also reported they found standard W10 driver incompatible with their firmware. They do not use XMOS, they use FPGA. Anyway, being compatible with Mac OS firmware was not compatible with W10. After some firmware modification they made (they did not explain what exactly) their firmware started to be 100% compatible with W10, in 2ins 2 outs mode.
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

It's funny since the W10 driver still seems to be channel limited vis-a-vis MacOS and ALSA that XMOS wouldn't want to look at the firmware changes necessary to get the reference design compatible with it. If we need more channels on Windows and true pro audio then we still need ASIO and the Thesycon custom driver so is it really going to hurt anyone's business too bad? Seems like it would help XMOS's customers' business -- at least in the prosumer market -- which has got to be good for XMOS.
MaximLiadov
XCore Addict

Post by MaximLiadov »

Maybe XMOS guys just have no idea about freeware W10 driver issue? I'd like to ask them, if I could.