Xtag random connections

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
Charley

Post by Charley »

Maybe we're now at least 3 having the same problem on the USB2.0 Audio kit, as I'm also having problems with the XTAG-2. I just wanted to flash the new firmware 1v50, but as you can see below, the xflash utility has connection problems:
bash-3.2$ xflash usb_audio.xe
Building flash images...
xrun: Problem in connection to device
Error: F03034 Failed to fully run flash inquisitor.
I'm running the utility on a MacMini, where I also had to plug in/unplug/plug in the XTAG several times before it was recognized.
I have reported the problem to XMOS.

Charley

bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

With a 10 divisor, the JTAG freq was actually around 2Meg. With the worse XTAG2, I got at most a single run and stop before XGDB crashes. Tried three times, unplugging XTAG2 each time. With the better XTAG2, I could run 2-4 run / stops before XGDB crashes. Using the IDE, the better XTAG2 was working better than that the other night. I did not re-verify it under the IDE today.

My setup uses the optical SPDIF for output, so no ground issues as far as outputs go. I am using both USB's into the same computer, so again should not be a major ground issue there. I had initally tried splitting the USB between two computers, and that didn't help.
Last edited by bearcat on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike34

Post by mike34 »

More info related to problems with xtag.
I just cant help it, im a emacs junkie and have a soon 10 year old environment developed for coding in Linux. In other words, I just cant stand any other. So i made a samba share in a linux box, moved the code to there. I didnt download the whole devkit for linux, just shared the stuff back to Windows which compiles and debugs from the share, its slooooooow BUT, since i started doing that the number of problems with the xtag have decreased, it still happens yes, but after two days of fiddeling with the firmware i must say it feels more stable. Everything is slower when it comes to compiling and loading up the firmware for a debugsession. Still i havent stepped through any instructions which should be totally unaffected by the speed of the share, unless reading the sourcecode is done step by step also ?? naaw. Well, not a scientific report, but never the less might bring a different thoughtpattern to what else can be wrong.

/Mikael

PS Ooh I know of one more person who have similar problems with xtag and the audio design. Maybe some day he will come forth and describe how it appears with his stuff. DS
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

Good thought. This is a system problem, and not necessarily with the XTAG2. I had hoped lowering the FREQ might get it to work. Any case, XMOS is going to have to help on this one.
Last edited by bearcat on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

mike34 wrote:More info related to problems with xtag.
I just cant help it, im a emacs junkie and have a soon 10 year old environment developed for coding in Linux. In other words, I just cant stand any other. So i made a samba share in a linux box, moved the code to there. I didnt download the whole devkit for linux, just shared the stuff back to Windows which compiles and debugs from the share, its slooooooow BUT, since i started doing that the number of problems with the xtag have decreased, it still happens yes, but after two days of fiddeling with the firmware i must say it feels more stable. Everything is slower when it comes to compiling and loading up the firmware for a debugsession. Still i havent stepped through any instructions which should be totally unaffected by the speed of the share, unless reading the sourcecode is done step by step also ?? naaw. Well, not a scientific report, but never the less might bring a different thoughtpattern to what else can be wrong.

/Mikael

PS Ooh I know of one more person who have similar problems with xtag and the audio design. Maybe some day he will come forth and describe how it appears with his stuff. DS
Hi Mikael,

Could you please submit a support ticket though the official XMOS technology support system, this thread has gone somewhat off topic and turned into a discussion of personal likes / dislikes with the XTAG-2 solution which is not really helping solve your problem and is only serving to confuse.

You can find the official support system here https://www.xmos.com/support/contact

Please create a support ticket for the issues you are having and we should hopefully be able to find a solution.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

I have been using the XMOS Audio card since it became available in the web-shop, and I think all the different problem reported here has happend to me as well, from crashed debugging to unable to write to flash or connect to the card. I cannot say that I can see a pattern when it happends, I use 2 different XTAG2's on two different computers with the same XMOS Audio card. Cannot say that I se any difference between my 2 XTAG2's.

Lately I haven't had much problem; today I made alot of recompile&run without any connection problem at all. I just had to reconnect the XTAG2 once after startup or if the computing has gone to any sleep mode.

Mosly I run my own audio programs in release mode at 400 MHz, since I am intresting in improving my code at the moment. Maximum speed is for later.

I also have two XK-1 cards used with the same XTAG2's. I havn't used them so much sofar - but I can not rememeber much of connection problems to the XK-1.
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.