Sending data from PC to startKIT during runtime Topic is solved

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
dsdanielko

Sending data from PC to startKIT during runtime

Post by dsdanielko »

Hello,

I would like to make an application that outputs a clock signal through one of the ports of the startKIT. The frequency and phase and various other properties should be determined by data sent from the computer the startKIT is connected to. I would like to be able to send this data during runtime so I can change these properties on the fly. What ways are there for doing this?

The data can be in several forms but I am currently thinking of reading a text file on the computer as that is the medium that is most convenient for me (currently I am hardcoding data into the program before compiling).

Once this works I would like to scale this upto around 40 startKITs all connected to one computer and receiving different data at the same time.

I am new to embedded programming so please bear with me.

Thanks

View Solution
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Have you seen the xscope app notes here: https://www.xmos.com/support/appnotes ?
dsdanielko

Post by dsdanielko »

Would that allow me to send data from the computer to be put into a variable in the program on the startKIT? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Its just I thought xScope was literally just an oscilloscope
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Yes, xSCope allows for bidirectional communications with your host PC and the target sTartKit.

Review the following application note posted on the landing webpage referenced above by Ross:

AN00152: xSCOPE - Bi-Directional Endpoint

This application note shows how to create a simple example which uses the XMOS xSCOPE application trace system to provide bi-directional communication with a custom application running on a host machine.
dsdanielko

Post by dsdanielko »

Thanks! It would be good to be able to choose two answers but I do not think I can.