Update to Activity Points System

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
migueljds
Experienced Member

Update to Activity Points System

Post by migueljds »

Hi everyone,

We are planning to update the activity points system.
The points system hasn't been updated since xcore.com was first created and we think it's due for an update.

I've created this page, http://www.xcore.com/activity-points, to show how the activity points is currently calculated and the changes we are planning on making to it.

I'm hoping for some feedback on this. Do you think the new system is fair?

Miguel

DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I would also like to add that this new activity points system wont be just for show. We do plan on offering prizes, gifts, competitions etc, based on your points score.
mudz

Post by mudz »

Greetings,
I just want to say that I agree with new points but one point I think you should remove:
Question is voted down : because no question is bad, sometimes small things can be a problem and they need to be clear up. Secondly, Few or say newbies may shy to ask questions.
That is my opinion only. Rest all point system looks good !!!

Have a Good day :)
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

I disagree, I have seen plenty of bad "questions" - most of them are not actually questions..
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

Project voted less than 3 stars -1 Posting bad projects
I think this may cause people to be reluctant to post projects...
migueljds
Experienced Member

Post by migueljds »

Yeah, losing points for having your question, answer or project down voted may discourage people posting.

Perhaps we should change that to if your question, answer or project has been reported or flagged as being inappropriate, than you lose points. That sounds better
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

migueljds wrote:Yeah, losing points for having your question, answer or project down voted may discourage people posting.

Perhaps we should change that to if your question, answer or project has been reported or flagged as being inappropriate, than you lose points. That sounds better
If 'your question, answer or project has been reported or flagged as being inappropriate' and a moderator upholds the complaint then I think that is a perfectly good compromise. If it's automated simply on somebody reporting/flagging a question/answer/project then somebodies points could be unfairly (and rather maliciously) reduced.
migueljds
Experienced Member

Post by migueljds »

DanB wrote:If 'your question, answer or project has been reported or flagged as being inappropriate' and a moderator upholds the complaint then I think that is a perfectly good compromise. If it's automated simply on somebody reporting/flagging a question/answer/project then somebodies points could be unfairly (and rather maliciously) reduced.
Okay, agreed. confirmed report of inappropriate question, answer or project
mudz

Post by mudz »

Ross wrote:I disagree, I have seen plenty of bad "questions" - most of them are not actually questions..
Hmm.. Can't say about those but Guess what? sometimes the dumbest questions get you the best answers.

I completely agree with migueljds & DanB.
Hey where is the Helped me or Thumbs up or Like tab, what if I want to give points for Good Answers in the post? There is usually one in forums, isn't it?
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

mudz wrote:
Ross wrote:I disagree, I have seen plenty of bad "questions" - most of them are not actually questions..
Hmm.. Can't say about those but Guess what? sometimes the dumbest questions get you the best answers.
You misunderstand, the bad "questions" are usually not actually questions at all rather than "dumb" questions. I have moderated a lot of them - something i'd rather not be doing!

Example of an actual bad question: http://www.xcore.com/questions/2685/can ... nnect-link

Tags are also an important feature, for example this question won't be easily searchable due to poor tags (i.e. just the question repeated: http://www.xcore.com/questions/2684/lau ... -not-found)

Not really a useful reusable resource...