Slice costs

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
ahenshaw
Experienced Member

Slice costs

Post by ahenshaw »

Now that I have a new startKIT, I thought that I'd get a WiFi slice for a project that I have in mind. I was quite surprised to see that the price (at Digi-Key) is $120.

Apparently, the slices are running at multiples of $40 (i.e., $40, $80, $120). Unfortunately, given the target market of the startKIT, I believe these prices are out-of-line by a factor of about 4 (i.e., $10, $20, $30).

TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

I've been disappointed by the "Slice" pricing, it looks like they're priced for the Company/University market and not the hobbyist, which is a shame. But I suspect their pricing reflects their true assembly costs and not like some price-sported boards (by the semiconductor company) you can find ;-)
ahenshaw
Experienced Member

Post by ahenshaw »

Well, XMOS lists the component prices for the WiFi module (in the BOM) as $26.49 (not including PCB), so $30 would be unreasonable to expect, but $120 seems to be too much.

Interestingly, even though Digi-Key lists it at $120, the XMOS website shows that the expected price should be $80, which is more in line with Arduino pricing (contrary to my first post).
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

ahenshaw wrote:Well, XMOS lists the component prices for the WiFi module (in the BOM) as $26.49 (not including PCB), so $30 would be unreasonable to expect, but $120 seems to be too much.

Interestingly, even though Digi-Key lists it at $120, the XMOS website shows that the expected price should be $80, which is more in line with Arduino pricing (contrary to my first post).
$80 sounds inline with Arduino pricing to me.

I guess there is nothing stopping somebody producing their own and undercutting XMOS...
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

I must say I'm incredibly disappointed with the slice pricing in the UK, £40-120 is just the wrong price points. it's quite doubtful that I will spend money on a slice, which is a real shame. £40 being double the us bom pricing.

The pci-express slot also seems to be a big mistake, no way to keep a case design small with a slice in it.
stdefeber

Post by stdefeber »

I must agree.

I am interested in an Audio slice.
It goes for 40usd , equivalent to 30 euro, on Digi-Key, which is reasonable.

Here in Holland we can only buy it from Farnell. List price is approx 67 euro or an equivalent of 91 usd.
That is ridiculous to me.

Simon
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Digi-Key offers a local site for the Netherlands:

http://www.digikey.nl

Using the above, it appears you should be ok to order your Audio Slice or other kits and parts through this vendor.

880-1043-ND SLICEKIT AUDIO SLICE CARD € 32,56
Shipping € 18,00
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

stdefeber wrote: Here in Holland we can only buy it from Farnell. List price is approx 67 euro or an equivalent of 91 usd.
I ordered my complete slicekit from Digikey and had it sent to the Netherlands with no problem at all. Quite quick as well considering it was shipped from the US.
andygothard

Post by andygothard »

ahenshaw wrote:Interestingly, even though Digi-Key lists it at $120, the XMOS website shows that the expected price should be $80, which is more in line with Arduino pricing (contrary to my first post).
I'm seeing the slice prices at Digikey as $40 and $80 (nothing at $120?)
mhelin

Post by mhelin »

mon2 wrote:Digi-Key offers a local site for the Netherlands:

http://www.digikey.nl

Using the above, it appears you should be ok to order your Audio Slice or other kits and parts through this vendor.

880-1043-ND SLICEKIT AUDIO SLICE CARD € 32,56
Shipping € 18,00
Yes but remember to make an order for value of € 65 at least so you will get the free shipping. In addition to shipping also the customs declaration (in Finland by UPS at least) was free, though as a private person I have to pay the VAT later (they will post the bill).

Anyway, the Farnell pricing in EU is something I don't understand. XMOS is an UK company, and other companies like Wolfson deliver their products via Farnell at very competive prices. Nevermind, I'll rather use Digikey.