XtimeComposer not recognising startKit in virtualbox

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
Reggie

XtimeComposer not recognising startKit in virtualbox

Post by Reggie »

Hi All, firstly, I'd like to say thank you to xmos for sending me a startKit :-)

The unit works fine on windows but trying to use xTimeComposer on a virtualbox debian guest OS fails, the unit appears to be seen correctly by the OS:

Code: Select all

[ 8475.548079] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci_hcd
[ 8475.907509] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=20b1, idProduct=f7d3
[ 8475.907513] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 8475.907516] usb 1-2: Product: XMOS startKIT
[ 8475.907519] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: XMOS
[ 8475.907522] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: XSK0l81A_rbb6sea
but the xTimeComposer software does not recognise the hardware, anyone got any clues as to what's going wrong?

Also, the download for linux lists centos or unbuntu installers but only seems to download the centos version, is it a one size fits all or did I download the wrong version to use on debian?

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Check if this solves your problem : http://www.xcore.com/questions/1973/how ... ment-tools
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

The mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb -o devmode=0666 command from method one succeeds but xTimeComposer fails to detect connected hardware.
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

You will need to add the udev rules as described in method 2, these are tested to work on ubuntu and centos platforms. Running debian in a vm accessing usb devices from the tools is not officially supported but hopefully adding the udev rules as described should solve the issue.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Hi Guys, thanks for the advice, Unfortunately, method 2 doesn't work either. I did appreciate that I was using debian and not ubuntu but as they're similar enough I thought I'd get away with it. Do you think an ubuntu VM might stand a better chance of working?
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

I have put together a Q&A topic on how to configure VirtualBox to work with XMOS debug adapters.

http://www.xcore.com/questions/2106/how ... virtualbox

Let me know if this solves your issue.
Erlo

Post by Erlo »

On my XUbuntu 12.04, running xtimecomposer sudo solved the problem. Guess some poking around with access rights to the USB devices is needed.
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

If it works using sudo, you have not added the udev rules correctly to your system to allow the device to be accessed from user space
Erlo

Post by Erlo »

XMatt wrote:If it works using sudo, you have not added the udev rules correctly to your system to allow the device to be accessed from user space
Yup, somehow I succeeded in not getting the startkit part when copying test from the web page...Now it works - thank you.