A slightly newer XCore, tell us what you think!

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
phalt
Respected Member

A slightly newer XCore, tell us what you think!

Post by phalt »

I have been working on improving the website for you all for quite some time and I can promise that this is the first of what will be some big changes to the user experience!

What has changed?

Signing in.

The previous sign in button wasn't very good on smaller screen sizes. It covered up links which made it hard to navigate.

So we've moved the sign in bar to the main navigation and made a smart drop down box for people running javascript.

Click it and the new sign in box will drop down:

If you've forgotten your password, or you want to sign up for an account, the links are still there.

Non-javascript users relax! You'll be taken to the standard login page when you click sign in.

Searching XCore.

One thing XCore was lacking, was a dedicated search feature, so I built one!

Type in your query, pick your area and hit enter. In future: I'll merge all the results onto one results page, but for now: you've got the chance to navigate a bit better than before.

Notifications.

I did some research into the browsing habits of users and it looked like we were only really using the notification bar to visit our messages, our profile or to share stuff.

So I minimised the most important features that people use in a simplified version that uses less web traffic than the previous one.

I also redesigned the notifications, I wanted them to stand out more.

So XCore adds the colour red to it's design pallett with this new eye catching warnings that will appear when you get a new message or friend request:

Please do give me your feedback!

I've been working hard on this and I'd like to make it better for you, so if you think I could improve it please tell me how.

leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

It's a bit messy with FF 8.0. IE 8 is OK, but it thinks that the web site has security problems.
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Have you tried clearing your cache? I developed it in FF 8.0 so it shouldn't be a mess!
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Thanks! That was it.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Oh it looks pretty sweet and yeah Firefox does love its cache a lot, i had to press ctrl+f5 multiple times to get it to show right
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

Berni wrote:Oh it looks pretty sweet and yeah Firefox does love its cache a lot, i had to press ctrl+f5 multiple times to get it to show right
me too, but it look nice :D
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

The Firefox caching is really silly, it's too strict. I guess it's just trying to reduce load on data connections by caching nearly everything.

A few refreshes solves the issue (and that is such a typical response from a web developer I know =P)

I'm glad you are all liking it, now to work on the next big update!
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

For some reason I see that I have new messages all the time even though there are none unread in my inbox? Anyone else getting this?
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I have the same 'New Message' issue in Chrome

regards
Al
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

jason wrote:For some reason I see that I have new messages all the time even though there are none unread in my inbox? Anyone else getting this?
I shall look into it on Monday when I'm in the office, I think I know what needs to be done.