Less new projects?

Non-technical related questions should go here.
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Interactive_Matter wrote:
  • Even if the XMOS engineers do not reply often to this kind of topics, your reaction shows that they are listening carefully - and we are not just a community to keep hobby people occupied ;)
They're always watching, trust me ;)

Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

phalt wrote:
  • Even if the XMOS engineers do not reply often to this kind of topics, your reaction shows that they are listening carefully - and we are not just a community to keep hobby people occupied ;)
I've been noticing since the start of Xcore that there is a lack of participation from XMOS staff.
I know they are lurking the forums all day and a stirring topic will not go unnoticed for longer than a few minutes. I like to see them to answer more questions from users, especially the ones of which the community has trouble to answer them. I believe this is vital for Xcore. I often suggest to these people to create a support ticket because i know that no one will answer them on the forum. Answering a question in a support ticket or on a forum, both requires labour. Answering the question on a forum might help other people out in the future and reduces tickets in the future. Many new users (that are not totally new to XMOS tech) come here, drop a question or problem and hope to get an answer. They often get a negative first experience.

Example: https://xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1456
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Bianco wrote:
phalt wrote:
I've been noticing since the start of Xcore that there is a lack of participation from XMOS staff.
I know they are lurking the forums all day and a stirring topic will not go unnoticed for longer than a few minutes. I like to see them to answer more questions from users, especially the ones of which the community has trouble to answer them. I believe this is vital for Xcore. I often suggest to these people to create a support ticket because i know that no one will answer them on the forum. Answering a question in a support ticket or on a forum, both requires labour. Answering the question on a forum might help other people out in the future and reduces tickets in the future. Many new users (that are not totally new to XMOS tech) come here, drop a question or problem and hope to get an answer. They often get a negative first experience.

On the contrary, where possible I've been making sure posts are being answered more regularly by XMOS staff. They're a very busy bunch. Me and my team leader are working on getting XMOS staff answering questions as often as possible.
dan
Experienced Member

Post by dan »

Bianco wrote: I've been noticing since the start of Xcore that there is a lack of participation from XMOS staff.
I know they are lurking the forums all day and a stirring topic will not go unnoticed for longer than a few minutes. I like to see them to answer more questions from users, especially the ones of which the community has trouble to answer them. I believe this is vital for Xcore.
I agree Bianco, what we struggle with I guess is to identify those instances easily when the community is unable to self-help. I agree that in these cases XMOS ought to step in. Having the community self help is the whole point of it, but we need to help bootstrap it until there are enough ninjas.

phalt, would it make sense to have some way of flagging threads or posts which require some assistance from XMOS staff? You know, like how you put on that little light above your seat in an airliner to call the cabin crew when you need something? Obviously this feature could be subject to abuse but I think it could be useful to direct our attention where needed without taking us too much time to filter. In fact it might be nice to have the ability to switch the service light on to be restricted to existing community mods.
They often get a negative first experience.

I think this is an instance in which the feature I outlined above may be of some use. Please all note that I throw this out for discussion and it's my personal opinion and idea, not as yet XMOS policy or commitment. Still, we should have the discussion.
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

phalt, would it make sense to have some way of flagging threads or posts which require some assistance from XMOS staff? You know, like how you put on that little light above your seat in an airliner to call the cabin crew when you need something? Obviously this feature could be subject to abuse but I think it could be useful to direct our attention where needed without taking us too much time to filter. In fact it might be nice to have the ability to switch the service light on to be restricted to existing community mods.
Yes we can do this, I can create a forum group for XMOS staff that see flags on threads that could be answered. Giving mods the power and staff to do this should be enough. I'm always online too so I can flag posts as they happen.
dan
Experienced Member

Post by dan »

phalt wrote: Yes we can do this, I can create a forum group for XMOS staff that see flags on threads that could be answered. Giving mods the power and staff to do this should be enough. I'm always online too so I can flag posts as they happen.
Great, I think this will really help.