Group buy: SMSC USB3318 ULPI PHY

Non-technical related questions should go here.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I've just heard from SMSC and an NDA is required. They are sending me one. It's probably best if everyone who wants to use it gets their own copy from SMSC, there don't seem to be any problems with them supplying it provided that one is prepared to sign the NDA. OTOH, XMOS's PCB layout and connections could simply be copied.

Leon

Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I don't get why they are NDA'd aren't they a shipping product?
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

Thanks for that Leon. Who did you contact at SMSC - their German office?

I also spoke to Ali (XMOS staff) about the USB3318, in relation to their USB Audio reference design, and he said that the library they supply that handles the ULPI protocol should handle everything you'd want to do with the 3318. They release a lib rather than the source due to the tight I/O constraints and timing issues. I'm not sure if they plan on releasing this library on a wider basis but anybody interested should contact XMOS with questions relating to that.

Shareef.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I have already requested info indirectly by asking about the XTag2 source code, which I would like access to, I hope the Xmos side of the code is more open than the closed lib they provide, otherwise my plan will be somewhat scuppered..

Not had any response yet though..
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Shareef,

I got an email from Ian Saturley at the German office wanting details of the project, which I sent him.

Leon
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

So if we get in touch would it be worth mentioning your name or the XMOS background? Did you say that there may be others wanting to get hold of the datasheet and if so what did he say?

Thanks.
leon_heller wrote:Shareef,

I got an email from Ian Saturley at the German office wanting details of the project, which I sent him.

Leon
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Given the issues around data and access to the source code, I might hold off on the usage of the USB3318 until it is all resolved. So if your ordering this weekend assume I will not be taking any of them until further notice.

I would rather wait until I know what's what with these components drivers etc..

Strikes me as kind of daft if thats their policy

regards
Al
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I didn't mention that anyone else is interested in getting hold of the data sheet, as it didn't seem relevant. They need project details and so on.

Leon
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I am really curious Leon is there something amazing revealed in their data sheets that justifies their NDA, I sure you can answer this question without breaking their NDA, if that is not the case don't answer of course and I will understand..

regards
Al
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Exaclty wich software parts do SMSC provide under NDA?
Compiled USB drivers for Windows, Mac and Linux or ???
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.