ethernet mac address

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
sleepless

ethernet mac address

Post by sleepless »

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place, but I see the ethernet code gets its MAC address from OTP on the XC-2. I also notice the address seems to be registered (wireshark shows xmos as the vendor). Does this mean there is a unique MAC address on each chip (specifically the G4) ?

Thanks

lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

If you check the code you can find the read from the OTP. If they stored a uniqe MAC in each I do not know. Which adress do you have in the OTP ?
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Not every chip has OTP written.

When you run the ethernet code on a chip that hasn't, it generates a random one
(in the low 24 bits).
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

There is a custom MAC address (or 2 for an XC-3) assigned to each development board with an Ethernet interface - so XDK, XC-2, XC-3, XR-AVB-LC-BRD and XP-DSC-BLDC. It's burned into the OTP during board test and is tracked relative to the serial number of that board.

XMOS has it's own range of MAC addresses beginning 00:22:97:XX:XX:XX

Kind Regards,
Corin
sleepless

Post by sleepless »

Thanks for all the responses. I had thought as much, but it would be nice if it was. The XMOS mac range helps, though, as it will make it easier to pick a valid address in production.

Thanks
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

Hi Sleepless,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, you must use your own range of MAC addresses. Under no circumstances must you use the XMOS MAC address range, as these are for boards produced by ourselves.

You can apply for your own range of MAC address from here:
- for less than 4097 addresses = http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regau ... index.html = $600
- for more than 4097 addresses = http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regau ... index.html = $1,750

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Corin