Where XMOS?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. General Purpose (L/G), xCORE-USB, xCORE-Analog, xCORE-XA).
akp
XCore Expert

Re: Where XMOS?

Postby akp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm

Are you suggested the AKM fire is not affecting XMOS MCU availability? I would guess not, but who knows? The global shortage is a complicated problem with many contributing factors, undoubtedly.
AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Postby AlexAdvice » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:48 pm

I have no idea how AKM fire can influence to XMOS.
akp
XCore Expert

Postby akp » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:57 pm

Right, I could hazard a couple of guesses. They might be dead wrong, but I think my first one probably has some truth to it.

How many large OEMs do you think use both AKM chips and XMOS chips? Presumably a lot of audio companies, at very least. If you're an OEM who was "burned" by the AKM fire, and you know you've got to redesign your board for a Cirrus chip, or TI chip, or Analog Devices chip -- do you also want to redesign it for something other than XMOS, since you know the XMOS chip you use is EOL and you may not know when the replacements will be available? Or do you gobble up all the spare XMOS chips while they're cheap?

And if you're a fab, and you've got lots of orders from AKM competitors for their parts due to the scarcity of AKM chips, might you delay XMOS chips if they're a smaller order?