XMOS really open source?

Non-technical related questions should go here.
kristianpaul

XMOS really open source?

Post by kristianpaul »

I wonder if the XMOS compiler is finally FLOSS sofware and there is source code to see and hack ?

johanar

Post by johanar »

Source files here:
https://www.xmos.com/technology/design-tools-source

But have you heard something about XMOS trying to be open source, or did you just refer to that many of their tools being built upon OSS which requires derivate products to also be OSS?
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

kristianpaul wrote:I wonder if the XMOS compiler is finally FLOSS sofware and there is source code to see and hack ?
I think the project you are referring to is the XC compiler LLVM port. This has been (and still is) under development at XMOS. The C and C++ compilers already run through LLVM.

The last I heard for a release date was the end of March.
___
Member++

Post by ___ »

kristianpaul wrote:I wonder if the XMOS compiler is finally FLOSS sofware and there is source code to see and hack ?
The C compiler is currently open source the XC compiler is unfortunately not. Once there is any change to this the community will certainly be informed but there is currently no fixed date for an open source XC compiler.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

___ wrote:
The C compiler is currently open source the XC compiler is unfortunately not. Once there is any change to this the community will certainly be informed but there is currently no fixed date for an open source XC compiler.
Are you still working on the LLVM port?
___
Member++

Post by ___ »

jonathan wrote:
___ wrote:
Are you still working on the LLVM port?
We are currently investigating the best way to provide an full open source tool chain, LLVM for XC is part of that investigation but as I said we do not currently have a date for availability of this as it is still at an early stage.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

OK.

The more you share the more help you will get from your community. I think there might be some guys at Kent fired up about helping with the LLVM port. There were certainly one or two in Cambridge who would help. There have been proposals to get the pi-calculus into the language, which isn't possible without an open-source XC toolchain.
___
Member++

Post by ___ »

jonathan wrote:OK.

The more you share the more help you will get from your community. I think there might be some guys at Kent fired up about helping with the LLVM port. There were certainly one or two in Cambridge who would help. There have been proposals to get the pi-calculus into the language, which isn't possible without an open-source XC toolchain.
Yes this is all good and certainly where we would like to be, we have a certain level of quality a replacement XC compiler needs to reach before it can be released, ideally we would like to switch over to it in the tools.