Group buy: SMSC USB3318 ULPI PHY

Non-technical related questions should go here.
kster59
XCore Addict

Post by kster59 »

So basically you're saying if I build a board /today/ with the 3318 then I won't be able to do anything with it until XMOS does something that they don't have a release date for.

Hmm I think I wait until there's a working reference design :)

Also I'm familiar with mass storage transfer and it's not ideal for situations with the limited command set but is an option.
sjalloq wrote: I'm assuming they will release it for general use. At least I hope they do.

sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

Actually, it is already released, I'm just not sure of the licensing situation as it comes bundled with something else that requires a license agreement. All you have to do is ask XMOS.

Either way, it sounds like you've convinced yourself that their solution won't work for you so good luck with whatever route you take.
kster59
XCore Addict

Post by kster59 »

I don't work for FTDI or have any financial interest whatsoever in them nor do I have any put options on SMC.

My interest is only to help other people get their projects done.

I saw a lot of projects in the Review projects using the 3318 and I thought that's cool and I should take a closer look. Surely I would also be interested in the 3318 because it is higher speed and cheaper.

But upon a closer look it appears useless to my projects and didn't want others to make the same mistake.

Just helping out and good luck to everyone :)

I'd be more than happy to use your code if you develop a working high speed bulk driver for free :)
wibauxl

Post by wibauxl »

kster59 wrote:My interest is only to help other people get their projects done.
I concur with kster59 on the difficulty to understand the ULPI setup, or to implement it!

The documentation is very unclear on the usage of the ULPI. There should be a simple guide to implement USB basic classes as everything seems to be organized to use ULPI (pins are allocated on the L chips).

After a lot of research in various files of the USB Audio Reference Design, I understand that, in order to get the XUD library, I have to mail support@xmos.com.
Why can't we have a simple form to accept the NDA and gain access to the library and support files?!
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

wibauxl wrote:After a lot of research in various files of the USB Audio Reference Design, I understand that, in order to get the XUD library, I have to mail support@xmos.com.
Why can't we have a simple form to accept the NDA and gain access to the library and support files?!
Did you email them? Did you ask what their plans are for releasing this library? Did you make a suggestion on how they can improve their documentation? Please post back here when you find out.
wibauxl

Post by wibauxl »

sjalloq wrote:Did you email them?
Yes!
They now have a new menu appearing when you open an account on their site.
This menu shows an item to request the library... Simple and straightforward.
The only thing they have to do now is to make a page (called USB library) to explain this... I will let you know about my progress on the use of the 3318.
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

Excellent!

I'd be very interested in your progress and I'll also have a play when I get the time.

Cheers.
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

OK chaps,

first come first served. I have 15 USB3318's to sell. I'll limit them to 5 per person so that at least 3 people can get some.

Cost is £2.71331 each which includes VAT.

Packing charge will be 50p for an anti-static bag and jiffy envelope. Postage costs can be up to you but as an idea it should be 66p for first class or £1.40 for recorded first class. I used the large letter Royal Mail packet size and a weight of 80gm.

Shareef.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Put me down for five! PayPal?
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

Are there any costs involved with using PayPal to send money or is that just with eBay? If the answer is no then my PayPal email address is sjalloq@hotmail.com. Otherwise I can PM you my bank account details or take a cheque.