So, who is behind the Amiga X1000?

Non-technical related questions should go here.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

An external flash memory chip.

Leon

Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

It seems to me that if you are marrying an XMOS device to a host computer system as a "soft peripheral" it is not even necessary to have any FLASH program store for the XMOS. Why not just download whatever XMOS program you require when the host boots up. A simple boot loader in the XMOS one time PROM (OTP) would be enough to take care of that.
johanar

Post by johanar »

Heater wrote:It seems to me that if you are marrying an XMOS device to a host computer system as a "soft peripheral" it is not even necessary to have any FLASH program store for the XMOS. Why not just download whatever XMOS program you require when the host boots up. A simple boot loader in the XMOS one time PROM (OTP) would be enough to take care of that.
Exactly, but if it's external like Leon said it ought to be entirely possible to use RAM instead, either shared with the main CPU or private. I kinda assumed it had internal flash memory like many microcontroller do.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

The TSMC processes used for the XMOS chips don't allow on-chip flash. If it was added, the devices would have to use a different, slower process.