No Available Devices Found

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
MatCat

Post by MatCat »

I did get it to work on a different computer running Windows 7 32 bit, but my native win 7 64 still not working.

MatCat

Post by MatCat »

Ok I managed to get it to work on my Win 7 machine, but I have to literally manually update the drivers everytime I plug it in to USB, XMOS needs to get their driver stuff together!
jimb

Post by jimb »

My system is I7 3770/Windows 7 64bit. Moving the device from my USB Hub to a USB port on the tower resolved the issue.
I wonder if it is timing as Windows was able to detect the device properly, reading the relevant poop.
It would be nice to have some tools to check this/perhaps adjust things like data rate, handshake timeout etc.
ChedaDSP

Post by ChedaDSP »

Got my free StartKit 2 days ago! Thanks XMOS!

On my system: i5 Fujitsu Laptop/Win 7 I get StartKit detected without any problems.
Coming from an embedded world I do know that USB cables can vary in quality (wire thickens) so I try to use 5V/1A cables all the time. I am guessing that all the people here know this but still want to mention it for the two reasons:
1. Some nb can maybe get his startKit detected by switching to better cable (I hope).
2. After playing with some programs (LED demos and my version of it) I wanted to extend my startKit with slice card that I have in my disposal. First I tried to connect WiFi slice and immediately realized that my startKit is not detected by PC any more. Nothing in device manager and nothing on USB sniffing program that I use. I suspect that WiFi slice card drains more juice from the startKit/USB power than it should. Not sure how much (at the moment) but, when I tried Ethernet and GPIO slice cards, startKit got detected just fine.

Someone experiencing similar?
I see that it's working for this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDDD9wBPcE8 ;) Nice work BTW!
I did verified that same WiFi slice card still works with my sliceKit. 12V/2A5 power there ;)

I also had a slight disappointment that I am not able to build app_simple_webserver for startKit but that is a separate topic I believe.
mckenney
New User

Post by mckenney »

Given the preceding, I thought someone might be amused by this:

I was seeing a similar symptom, where the Device Manager thought everything was fine with the "XMOS StartKit" device, but the IDE ("Debug Configuration: Refresh List") saw it appearing and disappearing. Switching USB ports made no difference.

Finally I tried plugging it Into a hub (cheapo Belkin F5U404-BLK from Staples), and now it works great. It's all magic I guess.
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

mckenney wrote:Given the preceding, I thought someone might be amused by this:

I was seeing a similar symptom, where the Device Manager thought everything was fine with the "XMOS StartKit" device, but the IDE ("Debug Configuration: Refresh List") saw it appearing and disappearing. Switching USB ports made no difference.

Finally I tried plugging it Into a hub (cheapo Belkin F5U404-BLK from Staples), and now it works great. It's all magic I guess.
Did you try with a different cable?
mckenney
New User

Post by mckenney »

XMatt wrote:Did you try with a different cable?
No, I only have one MicroUSB cable. (Had I known, I would have bought some along with the Kits.)

I don't mind running through a hub, so I'm all set. I just found it amusing that my solution was the exact opposite of everyone else's.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

mckenney wrote:Given the preceding, I thought someone might be amused by this:

Is your Belkin Hub a POWERED HUB ? If yes, can you test by removing the external power adapter to this hub and confirm if the XMOS Startkit is still stable ? The issue may be USB power consumption related.
mckenney
New User

Post by mckenney »

mon2 wrote:Is your Belkin Hub a POWERED HUB ? If yes, can you test by removing the external power adapter to this hub and confirm if the XMOS Startkit is still stable ? The issue may be USB power consumption related.
As used right now, the hub is USB powered. It has an external power adapter (around here somewhere), but historically I never needed more than about 40mA out of it.
ChedaDSP

Post by ChedaDSP »

Anyone tried startKIT with WIFI slice?