Transmission

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
rp181
Respected Member

Transmission

Post by rp181 »

I am a beginner in XMOS, XC, and even C. I wrote this real quick, using the UART library from xmos.com.

Code: Select all

#include <uart.h>
#include <platform.h>

port tx = XS1_PORT_1A;
port rx = XS1_PORT_1B;

int main(void) {
	chan c;	
	par{
		on stdcore[0] : uart_tx(tx,c);
		on stdcore[1] : uart_rx(rx,c);
	}
}
So would this launch 2 threads, one to read from a pin, and the other to send the read data out?

What I am trying to do is read a NMEA GPS and send it to a wireless transmitter. The GPS is 4800 baud, and the transmitter is 9600. How can i define different serial ports?

lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Start with checking out the UART_BIT_TIME in the .h file and the .xc file
You will need to use different values for TX and RX.
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

If it's one class, how do i have different values? Also, it turns out i am getting an error, saying that uart_tx is an undefined reference (also for rx).
skoe
Experienced Member

Post by skoe »

You have to change the original source code and identify all places where the BIT_TIME is used for tx and where it is used for rx. Then define two different BIT_TIME_RX and BIT_TIME_TX and use them at the right places.

<advertisment>Or you may want to have a look at my UART implementation I posted yesterday. It should be easily customizable once you understood how it works ;)</advertisment>
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

rp181 wrote:If it's one class, how do i have different values? Also, it turns out i am getting an error, saying that uart_tx is an undefined reference (also for rx).
Erm, looking at your code and judging by the error that you have posted I think that you have not included the appropriate source files.

The XMOS tools don't have a built in UART library however their are several examples around, both on XCore and on XMOS.com (see the UART Tutorial and the code example)

Cheers,
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

How exactly do you add libraries? I have been putting the paths in the project properties.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

At least under windows - you can just drag and drop files.

Open the catalouge with the .h files - click and hold the file and just drag it to your project in the XDE project explorer.

Finally you need to use

#include "uart.h" instead of
#include <uart.h>

when using external .h files.
Like this - where I use the external iis.h

Code: Select all

#include <platform.h>
#include <xclib.h>
#include <assert.h>
#include <print.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include "iis.h"
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.