XCore Pass The Parcel:A bit of fun, winners, rules, parcels

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Interesting idea. Anyone else want it to be so it can only be passed to people who are /were online in the last x minutes to increase chances someone who is active or recently active gets it?

DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

jason wrote:Interesting idea. Anyone else want it to be so it can only be passed to people who are /were online in the last x minutes to increase chances someone who is active or recently active gets it?
It would probably stop me from refreshing to check who currently has the parcel, for sure :). Without trying to change the format too much, I also think it might be quite good if you have x minutes/hours to pass the parcel once you have been notified you have the parcel (ie, the large pop up). I may be wrong, but often it seems people have noticed it but spend a while waiting for the user they wish to pass it to coming on line. This appears to frequently explain the 24-hour 'bot passing it on as the user has presumably seen the parcel but not chosen to pass it on yet.

(This is all based on the fact I often can see the person with the parcel online for several hours yet the parcel is not passed on).
Vaati

Post by Vaati »

Vote YES on Issue 2!!

Issue 2: The parcel can only be passed to those who were recently online. This will apply to both the XCoreBot and users passing the parcel, resulting in a better overall outcome of our efforts.

This campaign is sponsored by No One in Particular, Inc. All rights reserved.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

DanB wrote:
jason wrote:Interesting idea. Anyone else want it to be so it can only be passed to people who are /were online in the last x minutes to increase chances someone who is active or recently active gets it?
It would probably stop me from refreshing to check who currently has the parcel, for sure :). Without trying to change the format too much, I also think it might be quite good if you have x minutes/hours to pass the parcel once you have been notified you have the parcel (ie, the large pop up). I may be wrong, but often it seems people have noticed it but spend a while waiting for the user they wish to pass it to coming on line. This appears to frequently explain the 24-hour 'bot passing it on as the user has presumably seen the parcel but not chosen to pass it on yet.

(This is all based on the fact I often can see the person with the parcel online for several hours yet the parcel is not passed on).

Each parcel has its own auto pass on period where by if it is not passed in that time frame it will be passed on automatically as you have noticed.

If the parcel owner is "actively browsing" we wait a bit longer in case they are in the process of filling out the form.

Otherwise you can get in to a situation where by the bot passes it but the person already has the form up and also tries to pass it using the old form. The bot wins, and the human is left wondering why it went to a complete stranger...
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Vaati wrote:Vote YES on Issue 2!!

Issue 2: The parcel can only be passed to those who were recently online. This will apply to both the XCoreBot and users passing the parcel, resulting in a better overall outcome of our efforts.

This campaign is sponsored by No One in Particular, Inc. All rights reserved.
Vote noted.
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

jason wrote:
DanB wrote:

Each parcel has its own auto pass on period where by if it is not passed in that time frame it will be passed on automatically as you have noticed.

If the parcel owner is "actively browsing" we wait a bit longer in case they are in the process of filling out the form.

Otherwise you can get in to a situation where by the bot passes it but the person already has the form up and also tries to pass it using the old form. The bot wins, and the human is left wondering why it went to a complete stranger...
I'm not sure if I explained it very well (I think I've confused you between the current behaviour and a suggestion):

Currently the bot passes the parcel if it has not been passed in 24 hours.

My suggestion is that a user has 24 hours in which to pass the parcel (eg, maybe they only check the forum once per day) however this time is reduced to (say) 30 minutes once they have been on a page which notifies them of the parcel. The one time I have had it I got a pop up explaining I had the parcel and could choose who to pass it to. This would stop people from getting the parcel and holding on to it for 24 hours to pass it to a chosen person (rather than somebody who is online immediately).

If I'm still unclear then I'll give it up as a bad suggestion :P :).
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

Hi Jason,
maybe we could add a constraint: we cannot give the parcel to an online person more than 2 times each 6 or 12 hours! and we should remove the possibility to win the parcel for 2^n < 128 because this will makes it easy to win the parcel.
:twisted: We can also add a hard rule that can forbid to a user to receive the parcel for 2 days if the user didn't passed the parcel within 24H (even if he is online now).

- when I read DanB posts, it seems that I trigerred a true parcel war :mrgreen:
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

The algorithm for this parcel module is going to have more lines of code than the CMS driving this site soon lol ;-)

Anyhow keep the ideas flowing and we will see what keeps coming up to see what is most needed as a next step.
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

jason wrote:The algorithm for this parcel module is going to have more lines of code than the CMS driving this site soon lol ;-)
:D
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

We should be notified of the parcel in the forum pages (or at least the forum index page) its annoying that this doesn't happen as that's where most of my time is spent.

regards
Al