XCore Pass The Parcel:A bit of fun, winners, rules, parcels

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

@rp181 - both at present (no pun intended)

1 parcel will be in the mix all the time, but special exclusive ones may certainly indeed from time to time. So keep an eye out!

@bsmithyman Thanks for the nice comments, glad you like it!

jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Hey guys, so I am wondering, sure this XCore pass the parcel is great fun - and thank you all for your positive feedback.

However I want to make it better.

So I am looking to you, the community, to tell me what you could really make use of in terms of the prizes for pass the parcel.

Maybe a soldering iron could be more useful to you as you already have an XMOS kit? I am sure many of you have one already, but I am sure some of you may be new to the world of electronics too. This is just an example, please tell me what could really benefit you!

Anyhow please reply to this thread and let me know, who knows what may just pop up at some point in the future.

Cheers.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

XMOS printed books and kits. You know, one XK-1 is good, but 2 is much better! :-)

I do not mind to win XK-XMP-64 Development Board!

I will proudly wear XMOS/XCORE t-shirt and cap, mug also (not to wear, doh), maybe a hat.

Nice stickers will also add a lot of fun!
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Soldering iron is a great idea, but I have a feeling most people already have one. One of those logic analyzers? I got myself a Saleae Logic, and it's a great piece of hardware. Fairly cheap for a USB analyzer too, and completely open (they give a SDK, though no ones really used it yet =p ).
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

Gooood luck all :D :D :D
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Doug

Post by Doug »

How about some goodie bags of things to solder on to our dev kits? Things like SPDIF transmitter/receivers, LCD panels, LEDs, etc. These are fairly cheap especially if you buy a job lot and may inspire some creative uses :-)
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Sounds like a good idea Doug. Care to share with us some links to the things you would be interested in to get the thread started?

I am sure others will add to the list of "cool bits" that can be used in exciting ways for projects and such too then.

If we start building up a list of "wants" we can see what keeps coming up! This is also useful for people who want to find out more about such components if they have not used them before to see if they want to "vote" for that too.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Well I haven't got any specific links, but as a hardware company you are probably all set up to order bits of pieces from suppliers like Farnell, RS, etc. As a hobbyist with next to no hardware knowledge I've generally scrounged or used eBay to buy little pieces here and there. As long as you can get the bits and the datasheets it shouldn't matter too much on the specific make and model of the parts. I was thinking you could give away things that are easily to wire up and don't really require much in the way of additional components.

SPDIF is great because it you only need the connector, it can be wired directly on to a dev kit as the power, ground and a 1-bit data port are all there.

Character LCD displays are quite easy to interface though there is some pesky stuff relating to LCD voltages.

LEDs depending on the spec aren't too hard either I think, though I haven't gotten around to trying to solder on some RGB LEDs I have which are a bit more complex to do.

I'm sure other people have better ideas than me on cool things that could be soldered on without the need for designing and spinning your own PCB.
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

Idea 1
One idea would be to put together a few small, simple breakout boards that use the 2x8 IDC headers that are found on the development boards. Modular parts that could connect with a 16-wire ribbon cable relatively easily, or fit directly on the board via pin headers.

For example, a 4-character 7-segment display board, which would just happen to use 4x1-bit ports for multiplexing and 7 or 8 lines from the 8-bit port (some have a decimal). Another example would be a servo controller or something like that. Ideally they would highlight the high I/O rates of the XMOS boards and the flexibility of the ports.

They would still be usable in principle with non-XMOS boards, but users of the dev boards would benefit especially. I'm sure that tutorials on the use of the boards would spring up quickly on XCore if that happened...

Idea 2
Completely unrelated to the above: a bluetooth module that communicates at 3V3 would be nice. I have a Roving Networks RN-41-SM connected to my XC-1A (though it's actually a pretty terrible evaluation board design). The RN-41 module itself is great though (this is what all/most of the Sparkfun boards use).