Why is XCore logging me out?

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
phalt
Respected Member

Why is XCore logging me out?

Post by phalt »

UPDATE: this issue has been fixed!

I'd like to take a minute to explain why XCore has been logging users out randomly since Tuesday.

We recently upgraded our website with some akamai edge nodes - servers placed in areas around the globe to deliver website content to you faster.

We were aware that changes would need to be made so that login sessions would be cached properly and a configuration was made to do this, but after starting the upgrade we discovered it wasn't working correctly!

The web team spent most of Tuesday evening trying to find the source of the issue (with some majorly impressive hacks from migueljds) but eventually we discovered that the problem was to do with the way akamai was delivering the website.

For those of you who are interested:

When you visit xcore.com - you're grabbing a 'cached' copy of the site from the nearest akamai edge server. Logging in doesn't always send your cookie / session data back to the original server but instead to the edge node, resulting in you accidentally being logged out when new content is updated (because it doesn't remember that you're logged in!).

We'll be working on this today and the bug should be fixed by Thursday BST - I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this poses to some of you but we're working hard to get the site working again!

Thanks - Paul

rubenc

Post by rubenc »

Nice! I am glad it works again. ;)
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Also as a FYI there are over 80,000 edge servers on the Akamai network. It is seriously kick ass stuff :-) As far as I am aware the default caching config should not effect the cookie sessions. Check out the config I did for XMOS.com if issues persist as both Drupal.