XCore tutorial knowledge base!

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
phalt
Respected Member

XCore tutorial knowledge base!

Post by phalt »

Hey XCore members!

Last week I sent a few private messages out to members of the forum asking them about the state of tutorials on XCore.com.

The general consensus was that there was a lack of them and that asking on the forum for help, whilst useful, took a bit longer than desired. Any documentation we have on xmos.com was a bit tricky to find and people would be really eager to help contribute towards a knowledge base.

I got a lot of fantastic feedback from those members and now I'm making some progress on this.

I'm very big on community collaboration and I can already tell XCore has a great contribution community.

I'd like to put forward some ideas to you all and get your feedback on them now, which I'll then incorporate into my proposal and the development of a tutorial section on this site.

My initial idea in brief is this:

either:
  • Re design the wiki (it's neglected) as a dedicated tutorial area
or
  • Incorporate a new section into the website
The wiki is an obvious choice for me and far easier to use for collaboration, but I don't want to do something everyone will disagree with.

Now the other big thing for this topic is the exact nature of the tutorials. Having read through the forum to see what people want to know I can already pick out a few sections:
  • Getting started (how to do the basics)
  • Beginner tutorials for different boards
  • How to do XYZ
  • C/XC code snippets
  • Advanced tutorials
  • Project tutorials
These are just a few I can think of, I would love to hear some suggestions for sections of the wiki!

Rewards

I'm definitely thinking about some form of reward / incentive for people who contribute a lot to the site, but it's something I have to talk to "the powers that be" about. Any suggestions for this is welcome too.

nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

hi ;)

i think the first solution is better to just redesign the wiki for on thing (tuto) from basic to complicate tutorial and because all project has a wiki, you can just put the link for a complete wiki as Runtime Negotiation of Xlinks project.

for the basic, i think it will be better for all tutorial use one to two core of xmos and about function and tricks without specify the board example thread.

for beginner it will be a demonstration of basic project using the basic tutorial and xmos board example Ethernet.

i think it's great to put something like "Trick of the day" using this tuto.

but i favorite wish is to do some times a PDF tuto for the good project and trick like Tools and Kits
Skeksis

Post by Skeksis »

The Wiki would definitely be the way to go and as nassim said, I don't think you could beat having a downloadable pdf option as well. Being able to have something locally you can dip into and reference easily instead of trawling through endless links is invaluable.
"Time is an illusion. Lunch-time doubly so." - Douglas Adams
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Following a discussion with some of the web team, it seems that the "beginner / advanced" area is a bit vague, and areas such as "programming / boards / silicon / misc" would be a far easier structure for the wiki and would make much more sense.
I'm doing some modifications to my developer version of the site to figure out navigation / logic at the moment.

I know the wiki is open to any registered user to edit, can I please ask no one jumps the gun and tries to do it for themselves, just yet!

We're hoping to organise our documentation on boards and chips so we can get a lot of the pdf documents on xmos.com linked on xcore too.
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

great job paul in the new wiki, hop to see now more contributer :)