New XCore spam filters

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
phalt
Respected Member

New XCore spam filters

Post by phalt »

As we're seeing increased spam traffic around the entire site and not just on the forum, I have implemented a spam filter which will hopefully track and stop posts that are not suitable for the site.

As the configuration at the moment is new, it may cause a few legitimate posts to be flagged as spam.

If this happens, give me a private message and let me know and I'll allow your post / project / comment through the filter.

This filter does not apply to the forum - there is a separate spam filter for that. You can also flag posts on the forum as spam and moderators will see a big flag next to the post altering them.

To the knights of XCore finding the spam: thank you very much for your help!

Skeksis

Post by Skeksis »

I think the profile below is a spam account. Apologies if it's not.

John Daniel

I'm not sure how you're filtering spammers but have you looked into spam listings for forum admins? There are huge lists of usernames/email addresses available for download, it's what I used when running forums back in the day.

Skeksis
"Time is an illusion. Lunch-time doubly so." - Douglas Adams
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

The spam filtering service we've added checks content against global spam lists for obvious links / account names et cetera that could possibly be spam.
Skeksis

Post by Skeksis »

Sounds groovy, the learning thing you mentioned elsewhere is a nice touch.
"Time is an illusion. Lunch-time doubly so." - Douglas Adams
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

It's called Bayesian flitering and it's used with the global spamming lists to calculate the chance of a post being spam. Because it's new it might make a few mistakes at the moment, but should settle down once more content is posted :)