Slow XTAG Response

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Redeye
XCore Addict

Slow XTAG Response

Post by Redeye »

I've recently run into a strange issue : After connecting an XTAG device the OS recognises it instantly, but when I run "xflash -l" it takes nearly a minute for the command to return, it just sits there doing nothing for ages. This is obviously a bit annoying as I have to just sit and wait for it to appear. The strange part is that I can't narrow down the problem - it happens on 2 different XTAG2 boards and an XTAG3, it happens on my Mac Mini, Macbook Pro and PC, it happens on v14.3.3 tools and v14.2.4 tools on both Mac and PC. It makes no difference whether the XTAG is connected to a processor or not. I'm sure it hasn't always been this slow, but I can't think of anything that's changed. I've tried using --verbose with the xflash -l command, but that doesn't give any useful information.

Has anyone got any idea why it's so slow when the OS can see the XTAG immediately? Or any ideas on how to debug what's causing it to be so slow?

Redeye
XCore Addict

Post by Redeye »

So, after a suggestion I got in a DM, it appears this problem is to do with xflash contacting XMOS servers for some dubious reason. If I disconnect my Mac/PC from the internet, the problem disappears and "xflash -l" returns immediately.

Could someone at XMOS explain why listing the XTAG devices attached to my computer needs any information sending over the internet? And why isn't there a documented way to turn this off? It's clearly not necessary as xflash functions perfectly well without an internet connection, so why do it in a way that hangs the command?
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Web servers are under DDoS attack.
Redeye
XCore Addict

Post by Redeye »

That would explain it.

Would be nice for the tools to have command line options so we don't have to disconnect from the internet just to deal with XMOS server problems. It's an annoying workaround to a problem that shouldn't be there.