XVF-3510 development and USB device

Technical questions regarding the xTIMEcomposer, xSOFTip Explorer and Programming with XMOS.
Kevin Jordan
New User

XVF-3510 development and USB device

Postby Kevin Jordan » Fri May 22, 2020 6:14 pm

I'm new to the XMOS chipset and the SDK. I bought the XMOS XVF3510 developer kit (XK-VF3510-L71-AVS). The device worked fine as a I2S device directly on the Raspberry Pi, but we are changing directions and would like to have the XVF3510 as a USB device instead.

Is there a guide to getting this XMOS chip/Devkit to work as a USB device? I plugged the USB part of the the DevKit into the Raspi, my windows computer, and a Mac, it did not show up as a sound card or mic input on any of these devices.

The USB lines are connected to the XVF3510, but I'm assuming I need to program the chip with the XTAG programmer to enable the USB functions. I have the XTAG programmer, but I'm not sure where to start with xTimeComposer.

I know the XVF-3500 chip can do this, as ReSpeaker and Acusis both show up as a sound card.

Is there a guide or example project to work with xTimeComposer to have the chip show up as a USB sound card? Has anyone else been able to have this chip come up as a USB device?

Thanks!
--Kevin
mon2
XCore Legend

Postby mon2 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Hi Kevin. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it is possible to reflash the XMOS CPU to make it behave as a USB device. The CPU is very flexible and capable of morphing into assorted shapes including an ultra fast GPIO bit banging device to support Gigabit Ethernet; Audio devices; USB functions, etc.

On this topic, the website and appnotes are a bit scattered so recommend that you use Google to find the juicy stuff.

The first suggestion is to consider the following Application Note to morph the CPU into a USB CDC device -> will create a serial port on your Windows / Linux box with ease for quick testing.

https://www.xmos.com/?s=AN00124

There are other similar application notes like USB Keyboard HID, etc. but the USB mouse application is a solid one to initiate your development.

If you do consider to spin your own XMOS widget, do seriously consider to post a partial schematic before shipping to a PCB shop for a quick review. The XMOS CPU does demand power up sequencing before releasing the #RESET line; power rails to be a certain current; recommend impedance controlled traces with ESD protection and EMI filters. Also do hunt down the USB VBUS advisory which can result in a voltage spike due to the mated USB cable length and this can kill the CPU!! There are some excellent USB load switches which can help here from Diodes Inc., etc. At the very minimum, review the datasheets which do mention this errata.

Hope this helps.
Kevin Jordan
New User

Postby Kevin Jordan » Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 am

ok, I downloaded the firmware and tried to download to the XTAG device but I'm getting errors from my PC and my Ubuntu box doesn't show up correctly.

Windows 10:

C:\XMOS\VocalFusion-XVF3510-binaries_v0.12.0>xflash --list-devices

Available XMOS Devices
----------------------

ID Name Adapter ID Devices
-- ---- ---------- -------
0 XMOS XTAG-3 2KbYj_za O[0]

C:\XMOS\VocalFusion-XVF3510-binaries_v0.12.0>xflash --id 0 "XM-013711-SM-G-XVF3510 I2S Firmware binary.xe"
xflash: Warning: F03148 --quad-spi-clock not given, using default 15.62MHz
Error: F03013 Failed to run : 00C9EC10.

----
XMOS support told me to contact Digikey. Is there a quick fix?

For Ubuntu:
I got to a point in the documentation where it says you have a custom patched " Linux FTDI Library Request "
-----
If your distribution does not support USBFS and does not have a /proc/bus/usb directory (this
is the case on newer kernels, from approximately 2.6.32 onwards), you may contact XMOS for
an unofficial patched version of the device library
-----

Is the library for Ubuntu posted?

I also tried with my Macbook pro on the newest OSX. It denied me opening the file at all.
mon2
XCore Legend

Postby mon2 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Hi. Missed this post. Did you get issue this resolved?
XMOS support told me to contact Digikey. Is there a quick fix?
Digikey are good people but they will know how to fix this issue? Thinking not...

Which XMOS toolchain version did you use to compile this project?

Suggest to consider Windows for development and then test on other platforms to be sure you have the firmware working correctly.