Build error USB Audio Reference Design

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Is your github project referenced above still current and complete?

niektb
Member++

Post by niektb »

Hmm i've made a few edits here and there but the essence is more or less the same (or at least the errors still are lol). Also tried it on a Linux installation but didn't make a difference either :)
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. Yes, attempted to compile your project over the weekend and made some progress.

Still facing some resource issues but..

In your makefile, change the -lquadflash to -lflash. Save and compile again. From memory here and not fully awake :)

Then error should be that you are exceeding the # of cores?

Post your results.
niektb
Member++

Post by niektb »

Thanks for looking into my issues! Correct, also the number of timers is exceeded! This is the full message:

Code: Select all

xmap: Warning: More than 6 cores used on a tile. Ensure this is not the case on tile running XUD.
xmap: Warning: port "XS1_PORT_1F" on tile[0] is not connected to any pins in this package.
xmap: Warning: port "XS1_PORT_1G" on tile[0] is not connected to any pins in this package.
xmap: Warning: port "XS1_PORT_1E" on tile[0] is not connected to any pins in this package.
xmap: Warning: port "XS1_PORT_1H" on tile[0] is not connected to any pins in this package.
xmap: Warning: port "XS1_PORT_1J" on tile[0] is not connected to any pins in this package.
xmap: Warning: port "XS1_PORT_1K" on tile[0] is not connected to any pins in this package.
xmap: Warning: port "XS1_PORT_1I" on tile[0] is not connected to any pins in this package.
xmap: Warning: port "XS1_PORT_4A" on tile[0] is not connected to any pins in this package.
Constraint check for tile[0]:
  Cores available:            8,   used:          9 .  FAILED
  Timers available:          10,   used:         11 .  FAILED
  Chanends available:        32,   used:         26 .  OKAY
  Memory available:       262144,   used:      52036 .  OKAY
    (Stack: 3660, Code: 35884, Data: 12492)
Error: Constraints check FAILED for tile[0].
xmake[1]: *** [bin//smartDAC_USB_proto.xe] Error 1
xmake: *** [bin//smartDAC_USB_proto.xe] Error 2
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. You will have to review your source code edits to resolve the 2 violations (cores & timers). Then you should be fine to test on this target CPU.

XUD IP requires that you use under 6 cores to allow for XUD to have more CPU bandwidth. However, there are some work arounds for this issue.
niektb
Member++

Post by niektb »

But I didn't add any custom code yet? :)
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Ok. Please share full details on the tool chain version and IP used to build this firmware.

Yesterday, we did our own compilation of the XMOS audio IP for another thread here and it worked fine.

Can test your build process once we receive more details.

Fairly sure we are on 14.3.3 but will confirm upon reaching the office.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Suggest for you to follow this thread which is working well for many:

https://www.xcore.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6375

Please post your update.
niektb
Member++

Post by niektb »

I too am using 14.3.3 and with sw_usb_audio-[sw](6.15.2).
I'll look into the link you provided!
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Hi, I assume you can compile the reference design OK? The XUF chips are just multi-chip modules I am pretty sure. So they have an embedded ISSI flash or something. I doubt the flash is even on the same die as the XMOS MCU (because then the MCU would probably have been fabbed in a flash process rather than logic or SRAM process I suppose). All that is to say is that if your target file is OK then it really shouldn't make a difference.