Troubles running xTIMEcomposer 14.3.3

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
mkurc
New User

Troubles running xTIMEcomposer 14.3.3

Post by mkurc »

Hello,

I am trying to run the latest xTIMEcomposer 14.3.3 and i simply cannot make it work:

I have downloaded the Linux 64-bit version and tried to run it on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (64-bit). It appears that the app is missing most of its fonts (see the screenshot file Linux.png). I have tried with both open JRE and oracle JRE (both java v8) and the result is the same. The app actually works but with no fonts it is unusable.
Linux.png
(10.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Linux.png
(10.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
When done with Linux I have tried to run the windows version on Windows 10 and Windows 7 (win 7 inside a VM). Both systems are 64-bit. Under Windows the application simply does not run. See the screenshot Windows.png, there is a large window with java errors and so on. The java version is "8 update 181 (build 1.8.0_181-b13).
Windows.png
(30.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Windows.png
(30.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
What else can I do? Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Maciej

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

On the raised Windows error, there has been a long time requirement that the XMOS toolchain requires the installation of a 32 bit JAVA runtime environment, even if your OS is 64 bit.

Please install the 32 bit version of the same JAVA s/w and post your results. You do not need to remove the 64 bit JAVA s/w as both the 32 and 64 bit releases can co-exist in the same box.
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

I am running on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit just fine. Here are my steps:

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre
sudo tar -xf ./xTIMEcomposer-Community_14-Linux64-Installer_Community_14.3.3.tgz -C /opt
Wrong character set. Search /opt/XMOS folder for libpangoft2-1.0.so.0. Delete it.
cd /opt/XMOS/xTIMEcomposer/Community_14.3.3/scripts
sudo ./setup_xmos_devices.sh
sudo ./check_xmos_devices.sh

Create new file xtimecomposer.sh in home:
#!/bin/bash

cd /opt/XMOS/xTIMEcomposer/Community_14.3.3
source SetEnv
export JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64"
PATH=${JAVA_HOME}/bin:$PATH
xtimecomposer
Change permissions to execute. Create shortcut to this file.
Last edited by bearcat on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkurc
New User

Post by mkurc »

I have tried both solutions (Linux and Windows) and both of them work! Thanks!

Best regards,
Maciej
dsteinwe
XCore Addict

Post by dsteinwe »

I can confirm bearcat's solution for Ubuntu 19.10. It is essential to install openjdk-8 additionally to any other version of java. I had also to install the package libncurses5 via apt for xdbg. Anyhow, I am happy, that it works again.
troldenstein

Post by troldenstein »

My working dependency installer for clean ubuntu 18.x installation is:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt install openjdk-8-jre build-essential libncurses5

And after it followed bearcats answer:
bearcat wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:31 am I am running on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit just fine. Here are my steps:

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre
sudo tar -xf ./xTIMEcomposer-Community_14-Linux64-Installer_Community_14.3.3.tgz -C /opt
Wrong character set. Search /opt/XMOS folder for libpangoft2-1.0.so.0. Delete it.
cd /opt/XMOS/xTIMEcomposer/Community_14.3.3/scripts
sudo ./setup_xmos_devices.sh
sudo ./check_xmos_devices.sh

Create new file xtimecomposer.sh in home:
#!/bin/bash

cd /opt/XMOS/xTIMEcomposer/Community_14.3.3
source SetEnv
export JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64"
PATH=${JAVA_HOME}/bin:$PATH
xtimecomposer
Change permissions to execute. Create shortcut to this file.
Headless build and flashing works just fine with this.
dsteinwe
XCore Addict

Post by dsteinwe »

After upgrading Ubuntu 19.10 to 20.04 the ide crashes with a fatal error on start. The problem is the lib "libpangocairo-1.0.so.0". I have found two versions of this lib on my computer:

• /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (installed by a deb package)
  • ./Community_14.3.3/xtimecomposer_bin/swtbrowserlibs/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (installed by the xtimecomposer)
Both libs differs. I have renamed the lib ./Community_14.3.3/xtimecomposer_bin/swtbrowserlibs/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 to libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.bak and the ide runs again.

I don't use "Community_14.4.1", because it doesn't work as stable as Community_14.3.3.

Dear XMOS developers, please update the eclipse version of the xtimecomposer. It becomes more and more sophisticated, to keep the ide running under linux.