DFU questions

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Also review this thread to confirm your XTAG tool is being detected properly - do not connect to your audio board till the toolchain can properly enumerate the XTAG tool:

http://www.xcore.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4766

dweeb4

Post by dweeb4 »

mon2 wrote:
I get no output from either command - just a return to the command prompt
That does not sound right. Which operating system are you using ? Assuming Windows, enter your Device Manager -> Hardware and confirm that the XTAG tool is being detected properly in your box.
Thanks for sticking with this, mon2, much appreciate your time & advice.
OK, 1st problem - bad USB cable - changed it - now XTAG is being sensed in device manager
Runniing on Windows 7 professionsal
The supplied commands should dump the serial # of the XTAG-3 tool. So start with having only the XTAG-3 tool attached to a quality USB 2.0 compliant cable and confirm that the XTAG-3 tool is being detected by the s/w toolchain.
Done that, however, running xflash or xrun give me the same as before - no results.
The power button on the XTAG-3 tool is shown in the schematics as SW1 but was not stuffed in production. Check the 4 landing pads with silkcreen SW1. The schematic has SW1 marked as DNF (do not fit).

Check the color of the USB insulator on your computer box - is it BLUE (USB3.0) or BLACK (USB2.0) ? If you have a choice, mate the XTAG-3 tool to the USB 2.0 (BLACK insulator) on your PC.

Also review this thread:
http://www.xcore.com/viewtopic.php?t=3964

Is this what you see now ?
Available XMOS Devices
----------------------

No Available Devices Found
It's a USB 2 port
Nope, I get no output not even the "available XMOS Devices " heading??
dweeb4

Post by dweeb4 »

When I run xflash -l in verbose mode I see:
XFlash_Options:ListDevices : xgdb --batch -q --ex "listdevices"

And return to command prompt

I've tried it with XTAG-2 & XTAG-3 - same result

Added that XTAG WIN 7 system variable - still the same
Last edited by dweeb4 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dweeb4

Post by dweeb4 »

Aha, I didn't see until now who was the last poster on that XTAG thread you linked to - none other than DIYINHK :)
He's quite right - the smd USB connector on the XTAG-3 is very flimsy.

I'll PM them & see if they are willing to help here?
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Aha, I didn't see until now who was the last poster on that XTAG thread you linked to - none other than DIYINHK :)
He's quite right - the smd USB connector on the XTAG-3 is very flimsy.
:) The SMD connector should be ok since you have already confirmed that Device Manager can see the XTAG tool. This takes USB traffic and valid power for the XMOS CPU on the XTAG tool to enumerate. A lot of handshakes occur for the USB device to be listed in the Device Manager tree. This is good news. If in doubt, have a close inspection of the SMD pads - are they wiggling around when you carefully dock the mating USB cable ? Keep the USB 2.0 cable short as some cables are not of the best quality.

We recall an imported KODI box which lost video and the issue was just that, the HDMI connector pins were gliding around on the top surface so had to repair with a hot air SMD tool gun.

Very strange on the results you are noting in the command prompt. Be sure that you are shelling into the DOS / command prompt using Start -> Programs -> XMOS -> command prompt. Then you are inside the shelled environment of the XMOS tool chain. By doing the same with my older XP box at home:

If I run xflash <ENTER> then I see: xflash: no input file

if I run xrun -l then I see:

Code: Select all

Available XMOS Devices
----------------------------

No Available Devices Found

which is correct since at this time, all my XMOS tools are at work. No XTAG hardware is connected to this immediate PC.

Are you running any Anti-virus program (Antivir, etc.) ? If yes, shut it off and perform a fresh installation of the tool chain. You must see the above output to move forward - at this time, the target CPU and hardware is not related to these faults. The XMOS tools chain is not working correctly yet.

Another thought is to consider to run the xtimecomposer tool -> import a small XCORE-200 sample program and attempt to run on hardware -> what does the GUI xtimecomposer tool show as the hardware ? That is, if the GUI version of the tool is able to see the XTAG tool then you are in good shape. The gui interface should offer the serial # of the XTAG tool. Just another approach to confirm the hardware and software are properly enumerated and installed correctly. As long as you do not save to flash, it is safe to consider this test. The XTAG tool is used to inject the compiled code into the target hardware's CPU RAM for immediate testing.

For example, for another XMOS tool = sTARTKIT, note the XTAG tool screen in figure 21 here:

http://www.xcore.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2497

posted on our company server:
http://www.softio.com/doc/xmos_tutorial_v11.pdf
* figure 21
* be sure to select the REFRESH LIST and if required, unplug the XTAG tool and re-dock onto your PC and then select the REFRESH LIST button again to populate the serial # off your XTAG PCB

Again, this has to work to move forward.
Thanks for sticking with this, mon2, much appreciate your time & advice.
No worries. More exciting than fixing my squealing dryer. Just found a good you tube video on how to fix that - more work for tomorrow.

edit:

Did you do the following ? It is recommended for all XTAG tools and USB ports:

XMOS_XTAG_WINDOWS7_STARTUP_TIME with the value 500

http://www.xcore.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3944

Highly recommended if you have not done this already. Apparently some motherboard USB host controllers are raising issues with the tools.

edit2:

http://www.xcore.com/download/file.php?id=1375
dweeb4

Post by dweeb4 »

Aha, I was using the windows command prompt - not the XMOS shell command prompt
Sorry about this stupidity - I simply didn't know this was an option

OK, I'm now getting the XTAG-3 id listed

So, back to the start & I'll try to move forward
dweeb4

Post by dweeb4 »

OK, progress
I get the same warning as in that other thread when I now run
Xflash --read-all -o currentfirmare.bin --target-file jk.xn
I get the message "Warning: XN11135 Attribute SystemFrequency is ignored when Oscillator is not specified.
xflash: Error: F03040 Platform definition (XN) does not specify a boot SPI flash. "

I used the same target xn file XU216-512-TQ128-C20.XN
dweeb4

Post by dweeb4 »

OK, it appears I have success!!

I got a 2048 currentfirmware.bin file created when I changed to using XUF216-512-TQ128-C20
Like tmavr in the other thread I have data up to 43552, null from there to 45056 & FF until the end of file
Haven't done an md5 check but he doesn't give the value for this to check against

All credit & thanks to mon2 for getting me there - without him I don't think I would have had the patience or tenacity to keep going

So here's my summary for dummies like me who might follow this path
- ensure your XTAG is seen in device manager
- run the command within XMOS shell (found in start menu-XMOS-command prompt)
- ensure you havethe correct xn file in the command
Xflash --read-all -o currentfirmware.bin --target-file XUF216-512-TQ128-C20.xn
Last edited by dweeb4 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Excellent ! Steps that will soon not be forgotten by both sides. Be sure to make multiple copies and then perform the md5 checksum against your backups to be sure the logs from your dumps match. Only then proceed to erase your target flash. Guessing the vendor would offer backups of the firmware binary as well. Now onto the Superbowl game sofa.
dweeb4

Post by dweeb4 »

Thanks mon2 - enjoy the superbowl - the game, the food & the drink :)