Code Timing Analysis

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Andy
Respected Member

Code Timing Analysis

Post by Andy »

Does anyone have any tips on how to measure the time a piece of code takes to run (probably in the order of msec) using the simulator or otherwise?

paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

I recommend you take a look at the XMOS Timing Analysis (XTA) Tool tutorial...
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

paul wrote:I recommend you take a look at the XMOS Timing Analysis (XTA) Tool tutorial...
Thanks! The tool looks excellent - I haven't seen too much said about it on the forums.
DaveBest
Member++

Post by DaveBest »

It is useful.

But i am not exactly sure how to handle external I/O with it.

Also, if your code gets more extensive, you can't use the XTA.
In its default eclipse ini file it only gets 512M of memory and that hardly even satisfy the demands of the ethernet stack.

I could only increase it to 1536M of memory but that doesn't cover our application, so you have to make do with creating dummy functions to decrease memory load and to time only portions of your code.
kris
Experienced Member

Post by kris »

Hi All,

Just to let you know, there's been some extensive work done recently on the internal memory usage of the xta, so hopefully in the next release (intended for march 2010), you should be able to work with much larger programs. More specifically, you should be able to load programs of any size, as the memory usage will only be dependant on the portions of the code to be profiled.