Not enough memory for a frame buffer?

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Not enough memory for a frame buffer?

Post by Folknology »

For those folks that complain about lack of memory on the L1/G4 chips you should take a look at what this guy has done:

http://rossum.posterous.com/20131601

I love the way he has tackled the problem and the results are fantastic, just imagine what this guy could do with an Xmos chip!

regards
Al
Last edited by Folknology on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Nice! Does anyone know who this guy is?

EDIT: I found him elsewhere.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I've got one of those LPCXpresso kits.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Now thats some impressive stuff i saw an AVR do a similar thing but with VGA. This is a old trick to generate the images line per line insted of frame per frame, i can imagine this makes programming a lot harder since you have to always render the next line of video needed to display.

I bet he would love to have a xmos chip for this so that those time critical tasks can run truly simultaneously.

Oh yeah and i have one of those at home too!
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Ahaa, I have been programming the XDK screen the hole night, and with so many MIPS it's amazing what you can do without any buffer on the fly. But I will try to adopt the line buffer!

I looked at some old 3D examples from the XLinker forum, and realized that many things could be done in much more instruction efficiently ways. I am a C rookie, but I'm not afraid of mathematics as conformal mappings. Anyway, there is probably so many smart tricks to learn in general.
I once had the Amiga 500, and it could run a simple 3D-flight simulator!

PS. I like the R-2R converter solution, wouldn't it be very easy to use on XMOS? .DS
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

Someone on xlinkers did pretty good VGA graphics using R2R DAC. Not sure if he's on XCore.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

line buffer approach - very nice!

so On Screen Display (OSD) could be made with this method, right?
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Actually someone made a OSD with a PIC12F. With OSD you can use a nice cheat. What he did was simply pass the input signal directly to the output but wire a I/O pin on to it. The pic would then look for a sync pulse and then waits for the pixel he wants to change, at that time the I/O pin is switched out of tristate mode in to logic 1 ( for white) or logic 0 ( for black)

Then also saw someone use a AVR to additionally sample a few pixels using the ADC and use them to track motion, later displaying a OSD with a motion controlled game.

Someone should give these concepts a try with the processing power of a xmos chip.