USB Audio 2.0 support coming to Windows 10 from Microsoft

Discussions about USB Audio on XMOS devices
rogergreen2003

USB Audio 2.0 support coming to Windows 10 from Microsoft

Post by rogergreen2003 »

Finally, after years of nonsense decisions, Microsoft is working to add a native class driver for USB Audio 2.0 devices. They are testing it in the latests Windows Insider versions:

Native support for USB Audio 2.0: We now have native support for USB Audio 2.0 devices with an inbox class driver! This is an early version of the driver that does not have all features enabled, for e.g.: only playback (render) is supported with this version. Recording (capture) support is scheduled to arrive in later iterations. We encourage you to play with the driver and let us know what you think (using the Feedback app). If you already have third party drivers for your USB Audio 2.0 device installed, follow instructions in this blog post to switch to using the inbox class driver.

Roger

infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Yes - great news! Did you manage to fire it up yet?

http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4842

Best things come to those who wait, and wait...
rogergreen2003

Post by rogergreen2003 »

Sorry, I hadn't seen your post, and no, I haven't check it out still.
Kasebe
Member++

Post by Kasebe »

Hello,

I tried it on Windows 10 Proinsider Preview(Build 14986), but the USB AC2.0 native driver hasn't worked.

Board : xCORE-200 MultiChannnel Audio Platform(XK-AUDIO-216-MC-AB)
Firmware : sw_usb_audio-[sw]_6.15.2rc1

Thanks.
win10_native_driver.jpg
(1.43 MiB) Not downloaded yet
win10_native_driver.jpg
(1.43 MiB) Not downloaded yet
mhelin

Post by mhelin »

So where are the USB Audio Class 2.0 drivers, why does it take so long?
RitchRock
XCore Addict

Post by RitchRock »

Has anyone gotten this driver to work?
oliviawilliams

Post by oliviawilliams »

thanks for sharing this news
markseel

Post by markseel »

Just keeping this thread alive as I haven't seen definitive confirmation of XMOS UAC2 firmware and Windows 10 native USB Audio Class 2.0 driver compatibility. I have tested on Windows 10 using modified firmware (so my descriptors may be different than the official XMOS UAC2 FW release) and Windows 10 reported that the descriptor layout was not compatible (or something to that effect) - the error report didn't reveal an details beyond that. But that same FW does work on OS X and Thesyson on Windows also seems to be happy with it so I'm not sure what Win 10 is looking for. Can someone at XMOS confirm whether or not UAC2 has been tested on Win 10 (native driver)? Thanks!
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Just checking if you referred to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... io-drivers
If not, you may need to slog through that and make sure everything works out. It seems like Windows is picky, as usual. e.g. you will need to use explicit feedback apparently.
markseel

Post by markseel »

Thanks AKP. Yeah I did make a couple passes through that document. The XMOS UAC2 has used explicit feedback from the start and more recently added the option for implicit feedback (although I'm not sure when that approach would be preferable). So I'm also using explicit feedback. I'll probably have to make more passes through that doc. If XMOS can confirm UAC2 FW compatibility then that'd help - I could then check my descriptors against the XMOS UAC2's :-). Any other thoughts or ideas are welcome!