Site Bugs/Improvements

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
jonathan
Respected Member

Site Bugs/Improvements

Post by jonathan »

We need a place to submit site bugs/improvements. Should we use the XMOS ticketing interface for this, since the site is run by XMOS?

In the meantime I will list mine here:

It is possible to try to add as a friend someone who is already your friend - at which point you get a funny error message. There should be a marker to stop you doing this - the it should not be an option to click "Add as Friend" on their profile if they are already your friend.

jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Fairly major site bug: can't change the registered account email address - it claims it has been "saved" but if you go back to that page, it reverts to the address you signed up with.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Whilst you may currently get a messaging telling you that you can not add as a friend as you already are a friend with that person - it still prevents you which is the correct thing to do (in case you should navigate to this page manually for some reason)

I agree it should check first to see if you are a friend already and not offer you the option in the first place, but this is not a priority right now. I will add it to my list of nice things to have for when I have spare moments to fix smaller things like that.

As for submitting bugs in general, there is a site wide contact form you can use to alert us of any issues you may be experiencing in the footer of every page. Other than that I have noticed people post them in off topic as you have done too. Either way, I add them to list of bug/fixes that need to be addressed.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

jason wrote:Whilst you may currently get a messaging telling you that you can not add as a friend as you already are a friend with that person - it still prevents you which is the correct thing to do (in case you should navigate to this page manually for some reason)

I agree it should check first to see if you are a friend already and not offer you the option in the first place, but this is not a priority right now. I will add it to my list of nice things to have for when I have spare moments to fix smaller things like that.
OK no problem.

Strictly speaking, the error is that I "cannot establish any further relationships with that person", which I find a bit proscriptive. Lol. ;-)
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

jonathan wrote:Fairly major site bug: can't change the registered account email address - it claims it has been "saved" but if you go back to that page, it reverts to the address you signed up with.
Sorry, just wanted to make sure you didn't miss this one, as you didn't reply to it.
johanar

Post by johanar »

jonathan wrote: Strictly speaking, the error is that I "cannot establish any further relationships with that person", which I find a bit proscriptive. Lol. ;-)
I think it's a pretty good error message. You're already friends, and you can't become friendlier than that (on this site atleast) :)

On another site I'm a member on, there's no button to become a friend to yourself but it's pretty easy to copy an url and replace the other person's account number with your own. Then you'd get an error message saying "It's cute that you want to be friends with yourself, but I'm afraid we can't allow that here". Well you can imagine how bored I was when I tried it, so it made me smile a little :D
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

:-)
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

@jonathan: ticket system? please, no! jason is almost 24/7 here! who needs tickets to talk to jason?

my bug/suggestion/feature request: multi-level (full tree) system for posts in groups, or just plain system for comments organization as it to funny to see just one level tree for comments.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

otitov wrote:@jonathan: ticket system? please, no! jason is almost 24/7 here! who needs tickets to talk to jason?

my bug/suggestion/feature request: multi-level (full tree) system for posts in groups, or just plain system for comments organization as it to funny to see just one level tree for comments.
Ticketing system isn't for users, it's for Jason! Makes it easier for him to manage the plethora of requests that come in. If he's found his own system that works well, great. But if something doesn't get fixed for a while, expect users to nag him again. This is suboptimal! (I'm "efficiency" mad).

Agree with your second request!
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

Yep I agree the discussion area in the groups needs refinement.