In few words, describe how you see XMOS

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Thanks for the clarification on member identities and Xmos Mark, it wasn't meant as ad-hominem, rather I believe in expressing any obvious interests up front.

Given that we can't now know which members are Xmos employees perhaps everyone that isn't an Xmos employee can make it clear on their profile. I have done this in my status and also added it to my avatar to make sure that no one mistakes me for an Xmos employee.

Moving back to the the topic, as you say Mark, it is a very interesting thread, care to share your own opinion on the matter of describing Xmos in a few words. For example do you prefer the MCU positioning or would you like to see something else more descriptive of that middle ground between MCU and FPGA for instance? Or perhaps your more on Badgers side of the fence about placing it into existing boxes?

I would love to hear the inside track on this.

regards
Al
;-)

jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Hmm, I get the feeling that.... perhaps..... dare I say it... a face-to-face meetup between "community", "customers", and "XMOS staff" might be a good idea? Perhaps?

Just my tuppence.
boeserbaer

Post by boeserbaer »

One of the features in the XMOS that I see as under advertised, are the communications channels/links/switches. I see using those facilities to make a large system of distributed XMOS processors, behaving as a single multi-threaded app. I think this is one of the most powerful differentiating aspects of the XMOS architecture.

Regards Mike
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

In as few words as possible...

XS1 is an explicitly parallel and I/O oriented microcomputer architecture.
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Well I think the latest press release clears it up:

From: http://www.xmos.com/news/29-mar-2011/xm ... developers

"event-driven 32-bit embedded processor"

"XMOS event-driven processors"

"32-bit, multi-core, multi-threaded, embedded processors"

"company’s event-driven microcontrollers"

"XMOS multi-core architecture"

Oh and congrats to everyone on XCore for making the press release happen!
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Clear as Mud as they say ;-)

regards
Al
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Post by Interactive_Matter »

This documentation is completely useless ;) . Since the clever guys & gals of XMOS marketing have already found the right words describing XMOS:
Bringing together the capabilities of processors, DSPs, ASICs and FPGAs.
Why doesn't XMOS just uses this?