XMOS.com has had an update - check it out

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
jason
XCore Expert

XMOS.com has had an update - check it out

Post by jason »

Just a quick update - This morning XMOS.com has had a few upgrades introducing some great new features to help you stay up to date with documents and items you are interested in from the XMOS world.

You can now:

* Set up automatic notifications of resource updates
* Download all versions of software/documents
* Manage newsletter subscriptions
* Access to latest developer news and advisories
* Track your support tickets

Even better it is all obtainable from a nice easy to use dashboard upon login. Check it out now!

lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Perfect !

I was about to write a ticket with a proposal to have the homepage like this.
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

I can't download the reference firmware from the new site. It take takes me back to the license page after a couple seconds without downloading anything.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Wow that sounds really cool, but why is the login different from here on xcore where you already have all my details?

I have spent time on the profile and everything

PS I tried shift F5 etc.. no joy

regards
Al
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

@Folknology: XMOS.com and the community site have always been two separate sites

@bearcat - I shall pass on the bug found to the right person - thanks for the feedback.

@lilltroll - thanks, will also pass on the happy comments to the team too!
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Why are there 2 systems, surely Xmos would want to integrate functionality into a single community?

1) Having 2 systems means 2 lots of maintenance and support and probably servers.
2) Having 2 systems mean that customers have to maintain 2 accounts including username, password, settings & profiles etc..
3) Having 2 systems means having to monitor 2 completely separate sites
4) Having 2 systems results in duplication of information
5) Having 2 systems confuses your customers; where do I report this, where will I find this etc..

Surely this creates more work and overhead for Xmos and its customers?

regards
Al
huw
Member++

Post by huw »

Sorry about the download problem which was related to caching in the content delivery system. This has now been fixed so you should be able to download resources again.
dlopez

Post by dlopez »

Hi,
Might sound dump, but I really can't figure out how to 'subscribe' to some content in order to receive emails when there is an update...

Diego
Joerg
Member++

Post by Joerg »

Hi Al,
Folknology wrote:Why are there 2 systems, surely Xmos would want to integrate functionality into a single community?

1) Having 2 systems means 2 lots of maintenance and support and probably servers.
2) Having 2 systems mean that customers have to maintain 2 accounts including username, password, settings & p
<....>

5) Having 2 systems confuses your customers; where do I report this, where will I find this etc..

Surely this creates more work and overhead for Xmos and its customers?

regards
Al
the original reasons for two separate sites is to differentiate clearly between "community" and "corporate" - and avoid misunderstanding for the users.
As you pointed out, this causes usability issues and overhead - and changing the infrastructure now would be a non-trivial effort.

What are others thinking? Would you want to keep two clearly differentiated and separated sites - or a single site covering both "commercial" and "community"?

Thanks

Joerg
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

I'm in two minds about the idea.

Of course having a single site would be more convenient re: login and messages etc etc.

On the other hand I'd like to see the "community" side attract a lot more hobbyists and tinkerers to the fold. That might create a lot of "noise" as perceived by the corporate types and we would not want big business thinking XMOS is amateurish.

On the third hand who is to say where the line between "hobbyist" and "professional" should be drawn? A lot of what has gone on in the computer world started with hobbyists in their garages.