read and write to USB flash drive Topic is solved

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
jsaksris
Member++

read and write to USB flash drive

Post by jsaksris »

Have anyone try to read/write to USB flash drive using XMOS?

I have seen a lot of example as device, but not much resources as a host.

View Solution
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

I think it will be a nightmare to use the XMOS for USB flash drive mating as a USB host. Consider to split your project with a low cost but with proven IP STM32 CPU - there are many examples you can build up with a low cost solution but use the XMOS for the benefits of the high speed I/O - audio, etc. Marry the 2 concepts together for the best results and to be operational sooner than later.

https://stm32f4-discovery.net/2014/08/l ... x-devices/
jsaksris
Member++

Post by jsaksris »

That would mean connecting the XMOS to STM32 using the USB interface?

What would be the best practice for STM32 to receive the audio stream

If not for a USB flash drive.. would writing to an SD card (16 channel at 24bits 48kHz) be something more reasonable?
akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

Uh, the STM32 has a pretty decent TDM interface (SAI hard IP). It can handle lots of channels, if you need 16 ch in and 16 ch out if you get a chip with 2 SAI blocks (i.e. 4 audio sub-blocks) each audio sub block can handle up to 8ch / 32bit (can also do 24 bit/sample if you don't want 32 bit/sample). So if all you're doing is reading and writing wav files and talking to an adc and dac then I don't know if you'd need an XMOS chip... no offence to XMOS as they make a very good product.