HL1606 Driver with XMOS

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

HL1606 Driver with XMOS

Post by Interactive_Matter »

Version: 0.1
License: Custom Licence
Download: https://github.com/interactive-matter/x ... 606-driver

For a customer case I need to display images (or at least animations) on HL1606 LED strings. So the most natural approach is to add drivers to the XC3 Source code. Perhaps it is usefull for anybody else.

As a byproduct I also plan to document the communication structure of the XC-3 software. A Processing driver for the XC-3 communication protocol is also planned.

The final version will run on XC-2 (if there is interest I can give you hints how I ported it from XC-2 to XC3.

GitHub repository and some real code will follow in the next weeks. Currently the source is onvoled in a bigger project which needs to split up into different modules - unfortunately I first have to finish the project itself.
Video:

jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Please do share some photos when it is ready! Sounds cool! :-)
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

me too ;)
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

added some of the test videos & pictures (this is not the end result yet)
RichDevX

Post by RichDevX »

what's the electrical power requirements for a setup like that? looks very cool :D
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

The power requirements are very hard - therefore I can only test one string currently - and if all leds are on the power is gone.
It is 32 RGB Led per meter - so 32*3*0,02A = 1,92A per meter!
Because everything is at 5V

In the end I want to drive 32 strings, eac 3 meters - so quite an amount of power ;)
RichDevX

Post by RichDevX »

would be cool to have animated RGB belts, headbands, and shoes :)
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Hey - do you have any parts list or instructions for how to get a set-up like this running? I was considering making one of these myself for another project. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Yes, as soon as I got time I will publish all the details here and in my blog. Currently I am just too busy finishing the accompanying project to this (reading JSON from an SD card).

But there is nothing magic about it (so basically ther is not even a parts list neccessary) - just driving 8 SPI datalines over one 8bit port (ans some 1bit ports for the rest of the signals).

Sorry, the only way to exchange code will be github - so if you can wait about one month...
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

As a first step here is the source code. Schematics will be added to the repository later.