Road-test a startKIT!

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Road-test a startKIT!

Post by sethu_jangala »

We have our first early production build of startKITs here in the Bristol office, and I have five to give away to XCore Community members. Direct message me if you would like to receive one - in return, all we ask is that when you receive it you try it out as soon as possible, and write a forum post describing your experience - or write something on your own blog and post a link here in this topic.

The following is the downloads page for startKIT-enabled tools :
https://www.xmos.com/support/downloads/xtimecomposer

ahenshaw
Experienced Member

Post by ahenshaw »

Got my new startKIT, today! Very nice! The packaging looks just right - minimal, yet professional.

http://www.xmos.com/startKIT is displayed prominently on the box. I would suggest that you need to put a big, bold "HOW DO I GET STARTED" link there. I'm familiar with the XMOS Development environment, but the target users for the startKITs won't know what to do. The default featured video ("startKIT IN 2 MINUTES") is more of an ad for the product than a "how-do-I".

I had to remove my old version (12.2) of XTIMEComposer and install the 13.0 Community Edition, but once I did that I was able to breeze through the first part of the startKIT tutorial. Excellent documentation, there.

Not much time to do anything else, but very pleased, so far!
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Hi ahenshaw,

Thank you for sharing your unboxing experience with startKIT. We created a new category for all startKIT related posts to make easy for starting discussions for users. Here is the category (if you have't already seen this) : http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=44

Sethu.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Received my startKIT some week ago.
I would like to see that the package is reclosable. I believe it isn't with the current round piece of tape holding the package (I have cut it with a knife so it is too late for me to test). A small cut in one of the edges and an additional tab that can be pushed into the cut would make the package reclosable with minimum additional production costs.
chal3oye

Post by chal3oye »

Please anybody here to explain me about this...??? I would suggest that you need to put a big, bold "HOW DO I GET STARTED" link there. I'm familiar with the XMOS Development environment, but the target users for the startKITs won't know what to do. The default featured video ("startKIT IN 2 MINUTES") is more of an ad for the product than a "how-do-I".

---------------------------
You can easily check out our high quality pass for sure which prepares you well for the real IBM. You can also get success in real Stanford University exam with the quality wikipedia and selftestengine.
Last edited by chal3oye on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Thank you for letting us know. I will forward the information to our product management team.

Sethu.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

chal3oye wrote:I would suggest that you need to put a big, bold "HOW DO I GET STARTED" link there.
Is this the document you are talking about : Getting started with startKIT
Bhupathi

Post by Bhupathi »

Last week i have got my gift(startkit) from xmos. Its a good, small & well packed starter kit.
First i thought we have to go for a xtag 2 or some debugger for this kit but it makes me happy that it contains integrated debugger. I am happy knowing that it has micro-USB connection to host debugger. May be they can include micro usb cable also but not necessary because now-a-day most of the mobiles are micro usb compatible so we might be having those data cables.we can easily get those type of cables since they are a part of mobile phone equipment now-a-days. I see the point that the packaging is unlike other earlier development kits like XK - 1A.
It is lightly packed and care should be taken while transporting to distant places.
The multithreading processors enable me to expand my application capabilities beyond a basic microcontroller. May not be appropriate here but i would like to share that if xmos processors are enhanced(not exactly the word 'enhanced' because these processors are already capable of doing some very good and complex stuff) enough to run linux it would be awesome. On board PCIe connectors are good to connect with sliceCARD add-on boards. I can go on with furthur development. Raspberry PI connectable slots are very good I/O solution and that implementation in this starter kit is appreciable and thanks.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Hi Bhupathi,

Thank you for sharing your startKIT experience with us.

Sethu.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Digi-Key has a few startKITs in stock (28 as of yesterday), which might be of interest to people who haven't got one of the free ones. I've ordered one.

I received it this afternoon (Monday 6th Jan).