40pin DIP Module Using XS1-L1-48

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
Omer
Member++

Post by Omer »

This is pretty cool, thanks for publishing it Corin!

I ordered a few of each set of gerbers, will report when I build them (which might take a while).

Now, if only I could get my hands on some chips... ;)

dan
Experienced Member

Post by dan »

Does it matter to people that it doesn't have an xtag? That is, you would need an xtag as well to really use it?

What would the preference be generally - to have a wider module with 2 48-pins on it (one for xtag) and a mini USB, or to just keep it as simple as possible and have it as proposed so far?
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Post by Interactive_Matter »

XTAG is (IHMO) essential.
You can see the power of the toosl if you debug! I would not be able to get anything done without debug. & IWould rather skip USB than skip XTAG. Or is the XTAG exposed over USB??

BTW: why not skip FTDI for the Serial<->USB and use the same solution as the arduino (AT90USB)?? It is a tad more compatible to my experience.
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

I think what Dan was getting at is, should:

- The XTAG2 be separate (as it currently is) on the 48 board - this lowers the cost, and is better when it is integrated into systems, but you require an external XTAG2
- The XTAG2 be integrated onto the same PCB - this increases the unit cost, but makes it much easier as a starter kit as it's all there in one PCB.

Cheers,
Corin
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

Corin wrote:I think what Dan was getting at is, should:

- The XTAG2 be separate (as it currently is) on the 48 board - this lowers the cost, and is better when it is integrated into systems, but you require an external XTAG2
- The XTAG2 be integrated onto the same PCB - this increases the unit cost, but makes it much easier as a starter kit as it's all there in one PCB.

Cheers,
Corin
Option 1 for me. So long as the 48 board is available to purchase seperately. At which time also sell the XK-1A seperately and then people can buy any configuration of boards and the number of XTAG2s required. :)
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Post by Interactive_Matter »

DanB wrote:
Corin wrote:I think what Dan was getting at is, should:

Cheers,
Corin
Option 1 for me. So long as the 48 board is available to purchase seperately. At which time also sell the XK-1A seperately and then people can buy any configuration of boards and the number of XTAG2s required. :)
Yes, I would prefer option 1. Cheaper and saves board space.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

I vote for external XTAG2 as well!
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
Omer
Member++

Post by Omer »

Another vote for external XTAG!
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

In peoples opinion are DIP modules are good way to go for development?
Hence, would anybody be interested in bigger DIP type modules (e.g. 64-pin with more I/O)?

Cheers,
Corin
Omer
Member++

Post by Omer »

Corin wrote:Hence, would anybody be interested in bigger DIP type modules (e.g. 64-pin with more I/O)?
A larger (yet still compact) module with an L2 (or even a G4!), some SRAM, Ethernet and/or USB connectivity would be awesome (something along the lines of this module, preferably with a sensible I/O connector). IMO it doesn't make much sense to have an L1 on a bigger DIP module.

A module like this would simplify the design process for utilising multi-core XMOS devices in custom designs quite significantly.