New Version of Dev Tools with Graphical Run-Time Analyzer

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
jason
XCore Expert

New Version of Dev Tools with Graphical Run-Time Analyzer

Post by jason »

XMOS®, developer of the industry’s first event-driven 32-bit microcontroller, has launched a major new release of its development tool set that includes a graphical run-time analyzer, which enables real-time tracing of program execution and data. This accelerates the development of XMOS-based embedded applications.

A major issue facing today’s real-time developers when debugging applications is that inserting software trace or print commands into code streams introduces significant overhead and makes results unreliable. To solve this development problem, XMOS has created XScope, a graphical debugging tool that enables the values of variables to be traced and analyzed when real-time programs are executed.
J7svC0LcTDE

Learn more: http://bit.ly/xmosscope

Light
Member++

Post by Light »

:D It looks very cool! I will try it out...
The highest of sampling frequency is?
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

Hi Jason,
I didn't got time to see the video, but sincerly I think that an official announcement with version number of dev tools explicitely mentionned will be welcome on XMOS.com news page and on the XCore.com.

If I didn't saw the tweet mentionning the "new IDE..." I would never had been in the dnld page checking the version number.

Also in the release Notes *.txt file (http://www.xmos.com/system/files/releaseNotes11.2.0.txt) I think it's very useful to have the DATE of release, and even have the date of the release (may be in gray or little characters) near the version number on the download page. This gives better idea about the chronology of versions.

Regards
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Nice tool, this might be especially useful for testing of fast regulation loops.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Octal - thanks for the feedback, I shall ensure everyone involved in the announcement on XMOS.com gets it too.

When you do get a moment to watch the video, let us know what you think!

Cheers.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

* UART output can now be sent to XDE console
This is handy:
1) Does it work with the command line tools also.?
2) I presume it means the uart code is downloaded to the xtag by default, is this the case?
3) Is there a virtual com over usb function, like xtag(1)?

regards
Al
Last edited by Folknology on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

octal wrote: Also in the release Notes *.txt file (http://www.xmos.com/system/files/releaseNotes11.2.0.txt) I think it's very useful to have the DATE of release, and even have the date of the release (may be in gray or little characters) near the version number on the download page. This gives better idea about the chronology of versions.
Octal - the version number is the release date. Version 11.2 means February 2011, although I understand that this might not be clear at first glance.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

This is great news, and I'll be trying it quite soon.

Can we learn more about the link that's driven by the Xtag-2? I'm finishing a board layout and if my understanding is correct, to get the full benefit I'll need to add that link to the XSYS2 connector.

--r

Edit: I just found this thread: http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 42&start=0

which refers to this schematic: https://www.xmos.com/download/public/XM-000335-SC-2.pdf

So on my own schematic I was missing both the L2 link and the UART.

I'll be searching for a doc that covers this in more detail. If anyone has a definitive URL for me, I'd appreciate it.

--r
doumdi
Member++

Post by doumdi »

Folknology wrote:
* UART output can now be sent to XDE console
This is handy:
1) Does it work with the command line tools also.?
2) I presume it means the uart code is downloaded to the xtag by default, is this the case?
3) Is there a virtual com over usb function, like xtag(1)?

regards
Al
Can the UART interface on the XTAG-2 adapter be used outside of the XMOS development tools?
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

doumdi wrote:Can the UART interface on the XTAG-2 adapter be used outside of the XMOS development tools?
Yes, if you figure out how to drive it on the XTAG2. It's trivial on the XTAG1.