xcore_sdk and cmake

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
Fabien

xcore_sdk and cmake

Post by Fabien »

Hi there!

I'm trying to port my projects to version 15 and I would like to use xcore_sdk and cmake. I'm curious to know if anyone is actually using it to build standalone project. I'd like my project to live outside of the xcore_sdk folder. Reading the documentation it seems like it is made to be used within the folder to be able to access the tool-chain. or maybe I misunderstood how to use it?

I have to say, it's a pretty steep leaning curve to switch the tools completely, and the documentation is really lacking some real life examples.

Thanks!

Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

What kind of projects do you have? We are in the process of unifying things as xmos software has got a bit divergent recently.
Fabien

Post by Fabien »

Hi Ross,

The project is based on the USB audio framework, it works with the version 14 of the tools. As I updated my hardware recently I'd like to port it to the version 15 so I can keep developing further.

So far I have basic functions working in vscode using a makefile and the built in C xcore functions, but it gets tricky when I try to build any libraries like I2C or I2S for example. I found out that what I needed was working in the xcore_sdk, but I it seems to be completely disconnected to how the documentations recommends building projects.

So right now I am trying to find a way to integrate the xcore_sdk with version 15 of the tools. and I couldn't find a single example showing me how.

I think the SDK is great, I just wished there was a somehow straight forward way of linking the modules and libraries with existing project outside of the SDK folder. just copying examples and modifying cmake files inside the SDK folder won't work for version control and is hard to maintain.

Thanks!
Fabien
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

In the reasonably short term we have a USB Audio software refresh available very soon. It uses tools 15.x and supports xCORE.ai. It still uses Make (xmake) for a few reasons. It does not use the xcore_sdk repo.

In the medium term we are working on unifying the processes, documentation build etc of c/xc/freeRTOS/"bare metal" libs etc. Please bear with us through this, I understand things are quite confusing at the moment when you are trying to mix and match paradigms. You should see some results of this work fairly soon.
Fabien

Post by Fabien »

Good to know that a an update is coming up! And that it uses xmake - I was actively avoiding it after reading the documentation.

I will forget about the SDK for now and keep going with version 15 and xmake, I think that'll unblock me for now.

Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to see the updated USB audio framework and also the updated doc and unified tool chain!
Cheers